thefishingdoc

shimano expride EX272MHA vs. avid inshore 7ft MF

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Would love to hear you comments about these two rods. Recently helped make more artificial reef by dropping my rod/reel combo in the water on my kayak (stradic fk3000 on dark matter inshore 3/8-1oz) lol. Looking for a versatile rod that I can use on kayak and from shore. Will be using it for 1/4oz-3/4oz jigs, plastics, etc. I know these rods are suited for different fisheries but would love to hear your thoughts. And if you guys have any other recs for rods that throw similar weights, would love to hear that as well.

Since the Expride rods r primarily fresh water rods u might not get much feedback on them. I read that a few people use them in salt for fluke and even blackfish. I have a light spin rod and to conventionals in the Expride series that I use for freshwater bass fishing and like them very much

On 10/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, thefishingdoc said:

Hey guys,

Would love to hear you comments about these two rods. Recently helped make more artificial reef by dropping my rod/reel combo in the water on my kayak (stradic fk3000 on dark matter inshore 3/8-1oz) lol. Looking for a versatile rod that I can use on kayak and from shore. Will be using it for 1/4oz-3/4oz jigs, plastics, etc. I know these rods are suited for different fisheries but would love to hear your thoughts. And if you guys have any other recs for rods that throw similar weights, would love to hear that as well.

That particular Expride is extremely versatile in freshwater - a lively tip and plenty of backbone. 3/4oz jighead + plastic might be pushing it on a hard cast from shore though. I used mine for fluking with 1/4 - 1/2oz jigs from the yak and it was perfect. 

It'll certainly be more sensitive than the Avid, and imo a much crisper blank as well. After using nearly every rod in that lineup...if you can find a technique and weight range for an Expride, get the Expride. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

4 mins ago, buddha162 said:

That particular Expride is extremely versatile in freshwater - a lively tip and plenty of backbone. 3/4oz jighead + plastic might be pushing it on a hard cast from shore though. I used mine for fluking with 1/4 - 1/2oz jigs from the yak and it was perfect. 

It'll certainly be more sensitive than the Avid, and imo a much crisper blank as well. After using nearly every rod in that lineup...if you can find a technique and weight range for an Expride, get the Expride. 

In that case, I think I will hold off on the expride for now until next year cause I do jig 1/4oz-1/2oz a lot for fluke as well but the rod that I dropped in the water was a rod I used for a lot of applications and I think the avid inshore will probably fit more roles as of right now (stripers, togging, shore fishing). What do you think buddha162?

Haven’t used the expride but really liked other shimano blanks. Light and sensitive. Also own a few avid inshores including a med and a med lite. The med lite is prob closer to the rod you lost and is great for light fluking rigs.  I have quite a few other st croix rods. Premier tidemaster abd mojo. The avid feels considerably lighter and more sensitive. Def worth the money.