jjdbike

Smoked turkey: results, recipes, advice?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just like the title says, looking for info on smoking turkey. I'm open to deboning, stuffing and rolling.

While I haven't had either, I have heard that smoking is even better than frying. Dunno. Just want to try something different but not too untraditional from a Thanksgiving prespective.

What have you done? How did it turn out? Any advice, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I brine mine for a couple days in a simple brine. I don't stuff them, something about smoked stuffing doesn't work for me. I smoke a little lower, 275ish until done, do not over cook. 

gravy brownings from a smoked turkey cooked on grill, MUCH too salty after prep. Won't do it again. If you enjoy the taste of smoked turkey, be advised, after making oven roasted T/giving turkey gravy for years, just buy a package of turkey gravy to prepare or prepare in advance using turkey parts, etc. if you are dealing with a smoked turkey . I even hated the taste of the leftover smoked turkey when I made turkey croquettes. Threw them out after lots of prep. 

Traditional oven roasted turkey for us from now on. 

No need to go to the trouble of deboning and rolling.   Spatchcock of even just do whole   Brining is good but not essential with a lot of the turkeys being essentially brined when you buy them-  this is the "contains up to 10 solution.." on a lot of birds.   My brother-in-law use the Pioneer Woman  bring and make a killer bird.  Apple and cherry are always good wood for poultry in my opinion. Roasted birds are great to-   our family ends up doing both for Thanksgiving.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, JimW said:

Salt a couple days in advance, overnight uncovered.  Smoke at 325, light on the smoke. 

Do you use a fresh turkey? I read that frozen turkeys are already brined and brining them makes them too salty.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Gilbey said:

I brine mine for a couple days in a simple brine. I don't stuff them, something about smoked stuffing doesn't work for me. I smoke a little lower, 275ish until done, do not over cook. 

Thanks. I may debone and roll. If I do that correctlly, the stuffing won't be exposed to the smoke.

10 hours ago, flysully said:

gravy brownings from a smoked turkey cooked on grill, MUCH too salty after prep. Won't do it again. If you enjoy the taste of smoked turkey, be advised, after making oven roasted T/giving turkey gravy for years, just buy a package of turkey gravy to prepare or prepare in advance using turkey parts, etc. if you are dealing with a smoked turkey . I even hated the taste of the leftover smoked turkey when I made turkey croquettes. Threw them out after lots of prep. 

Traditional oven roasted turkey for us from now on. 

So you're saying you don't like anything about smoked turkey?

10 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Some crispy skin on that turkey.

tday20173.jpg.c276ee35b33f3ef651277fd24258f74b.jpg

Looks amazing. Spatchcocked & smoked?

7 hours ago, rathrbefishn said:

No need to go to the trouble of deboning and rolling.   Spatchcock of even just do whole   Brining is good but not essential with a lot of the turkeys being essentially brined when you buy them-  this is the "contains up to 10 solution.." on a lot of birds.   My brother-in-law use the Pioneer Woman  bring and make a killer bird.  Apple and cherry are always good wood for poultry in my opinion. Roasted birds are great to-   our family ends up doing both for Thanksgiving.

Thanks,

I actually enjoy the process of deboning and rolling. I'd rather do the pre ahead of time (as opposed to after it's cooked just before serving) and freeze the bones etc. for soup at a latter date. 

I looked up the Pioneer woman brine, looks wonderful.

Thanks!

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Do you use a fresh turkey? I read that frozen turkeys are already brined and brining them makes them too salty.

Depends what you mean by "fresh" turkey. The majority of supermarket "fresh" turkeys are actually frozen There is some rule that a turkey can be sold as "fresh":

Turkeys to be sold as "fresh" must be stored at a temperature no lower than 26 °F. FROZEN POULTRY — Turkeys sold as "frozen" must be stored at 0 °F or below. 

The already brined plays no role in a turkey being "fresh" or not, you have to read the label.

We usually get a fresh turkey, cheap store brand.  It’s not injected with brine.  I’ve smoked frozen.  Read the label and don’t salt if it’s been injected.  Wife makes some turkey stock from parts in advance for gravy and stuffing.  

jjdbike: Yes, I do enjoy the taste of smoked turkey, just not gravy made from the drippings, preferring the taste of traditional turkey gravy made with drippings of an unsmoked turkey. I also prefer turkey croquettes made with meat from an unsmoked turkey/chicken, just our preference :)

2 hours ago, flysully said:

jjdbike: Yes, I do enjoy the taste of smoked turkey, just not gravy made from the drippings, preferring the taste of traditional turkey gravy made with drippings of an unsmoked turkey. I also prefer turkey croquettes made with meat from an unsmoked turkey/chicken, just our preference :)

I don't care for the drippings from the smoked turkey either.... Too strong of a smoke flavor... When I smoke one, my wife makes the gravy from other sources..

Butch

11 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks. I may debone and roll. If I do that correctlly, the stuffing won't be exposed to the smoke.

So you're saying you don't like anything about smoked turkey?

Looks amazing. Spatchcocked & smoked?

Thanks,

I actually enjoy the process of deboning and rolling. I'd rather do the pre ahead of time (as opposed to after it's cooked just before serving) and freeze the bones etc. for soup at a latter date. 

I looked up the Pioneer woman brine, looks wonderful.

Thanks!

JD

Spatchcocked on a Kamado Joe. Dry brined, no smoke, and my own rub. No problems making gravy from the drippings either.