Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhilCVG

What do I need to get started?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have been pondering the idea of surf fishing for two years now. I mainly fish the SJ back bay and areas with small plugs and plastics though I have fished some jetties for weakfish, even lucked into a few small stripers. This fall I'd like to atleast give surf fishing a shot. I have done it in the past but only with bait and that was 7 or 8 years ago now.

So I guess my question is what do I need to get started? I have corkers, waders, head lamp and even some common sense. I need help with plug/lure selection. I have no idea where to start putting a good surf bag together.

85% of my fishing will be done at night, the other 15% will be done late in the afternoon or early in the morning.

My rod and reel choice thus far is a St Croix SS80M ( I think ) coupled with a Mitchell Nautil, though I'm not sure what size would balance the rod.

I appreciate any info you could pass along to help me step above my current googan state smile.gif

The 6500 Nautil will compliment that rod nicely. I would go with something around 9', but that is just my opinion.

As far as lures go, ya can't go wrong with a schoolbus Bomber to start. smile.gif

I let the others chime in now... smile.gif

luke

Bombers for sure, school bus like Luke said! I also use alot of Gibbs bottle poppers, in various colors. Black seems to work the best for me at night and in the day yellow with some red also works really well for me.

Check out the SOL minnows and Megabait(i really like the Megabait lures)!!!

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me?

SOL# 449

I say you should think this out for a long time before you start..

Your going to need everything Yep go to the online store and just have them send you one of everything..And good luck..

Eddie

Actually, you should get TWO of everything from the store, because you will most likely lose 1 of each, so it's smart business to be prepared biggrin.gif

Welcome to the suds and good fishing!

Ken

[This message has been edited by BassNuts (edited 09-24-2002).]

PHIL. great that your jumpin in on the fun.. if your looking into the rod and reel.. I would suggest looking for something a bit stouter..not necessarily very large.. because like if your fishing a jetty a shorter rod might be to your advantage.. but if your doing all around fishing.. you cant go wrong with a ten foot rod.. extremely versatile. If your interested in the St. Croix line check out their 10' rod.. it is pretty nice.. as for a bag

Before i start i wanna mention I wont be specific on size because it is very condition and location dependent.

1. Ditto on the bucks.. you can never have to many.. I make my own now cause I like them soo much. During the day I really like chartreuse and white.. 3/4 oz to 2 oz will do you good.both are great.. and a nice red pork rind on the back either 240s or the striper strip will do. At night.. either white or black.. black on the darkest nites.

2:Metal Lips.. especially now in the fall you will want to have a variety of metal lip swimmers to use while the mullet are charging or around jetty tips. You can get them in the online store.. they are sold in other places as danny plugs.. same thing pretty much.. danny is just a brand name from gibbs.. but some refer to metal lips as danny plugs.

3: Bomber type swimmers...

Always good to have some bombers or bomber types.. me myself I prefer the mambo minnows.. or what tim sells as his SOL minnows(btw.. this is not an endorsement for Tim's store.. it is just that he has everything anyone could want to start fishing the surf and he is a good business man.. it is just pretty convienient to go to the store.. many other places carry the stuff.. so w/e you do.. its all good.. just convenience is good.)

Yellow or chicken scratch is a very versatile color to have. Get it in the 7 inch and 5 inch. The baitfish cast a golden flash as the light is changing from dark to light or visa versa.. and a yellow swimmer is no better transition plug. Also get a few other colors.. parrot is great on murky days, black on those dark nites, and a blue or black over white.. like a mullet or herring.. aweseom!! 7 inch will be used m ost but you see what the conditions decide.

4. POPPERS!!!! biggrin.gif Cant have enough.. they are a daytime lure.. but you will want one right around sunset!!! HINT! Big bass cant pass up a large pencil at sunset. Get some gibbs or lex pencils in yellow and blue and white.. 2 oz is a pretty all around size, but sometimes 2 3/4 or 3 oz is needed.. Then the open face poppers are also effective.. they are called polaris or solaris here.. If you havent noticed.. i like 3 colors pretty much.. during the day.. ALL WHITE.. YELLOW, AND BLUE OVER WHITE. These colors cover all the bases.They imitate the full range of baitfish colors. At night the same color CAN apply but with the addition of black..

5. Tins.. I liek the charlie grave style tins.. but most likely you will be able to find some crippled herrings and AVA diamond jigs. Crippled herrings are a simple flashy lure that can imitate spearing and rainfish well.. AVA jig is great when you wanna bounce some sand with a teaser and sand eels are around.

6. This shoudl really be nearer the top but NEEDLEFISH.. Have atleast two.. one in parrot and one in black over purple.. Habs makes sweet needles but as you can see tim is out already.. check out superstrike and gibbs for good needles. I would lean more towards the black cause needlefish are deadly at night. But that doesnt mean they arent during the day either.

I am soo sure there is still much m ore to be said.. like leaders, teasers, RIGGED EELS.. etc.. but I hope i provided a good base to work off of.. and start simple and work your way to a laarger variety..

Castingkid-Alex

[This message has been edited by castingkid (edited 09-24-2002).]

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I needed.

Bombers, Mambos, Windcheaters, Red Fins I have all used down here, just smaller sizes. So those plugs I am familiar with.

Thanks again guys.

------------------

Good information! I learned a few things myself that I wanna try. biggrin.gif

You might also do a search of the archives - Tim has laid out a 'beginners surf bag' inventory in reponse to a similar question- it was a great thread!

How come nobody mentioned teasers?confused.gif