Stopsign32v

4000 vs 5000 for Surf?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Well my Avid setup and my 6.7oz Stradic CI4+ has ruined me when it comes to weight. Now I only want to fish with lightweight stuff.

I'm building a surf setup and will be using a 9' Avid Surf more than likely and was looking at the Shimano Stradic FL, which is 9.2oz for the 4000 and 9.3 for the 5000. Will only be throwing lures. Will I be better suited with 4000 or 5000? 

I think it mainly comes down to what you're fishing for and personal preference. 

Either size reel would handle anything pretty much anything here in Long Island Sound waters. I've got both, and I tend to like the large reels so the 5000 sees more time I need my hands. It is noticeably heavier though (Stella 4000 vs Saltiga 5000).

I just grabbed a Van Staal 200 over the 150.

Fishing will be with 6" plugs and such off NC coast. So mainly I would say stripers? Not sure what else all is out there honestly. Are blues common in NC coast?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Stopsign32v said:

Shimano Stradic FL, which is 9.2oz for the 4000 and 9.3 for the 5000. Will only be throwing lures. Will I be better suited with 4000 or 5000? 

Better check those weights.... 4000 per their site is 9.9oz and the C5000 is 10.4oz, my 5k with line weighs 10.9.

The only difference between the two is spool depth (deeper on the 5k = better line capacity) and round knob on 5k.

Go with more line....

Edited by Inshore

If you are fishing the NC Coast, yes Blues are common - when the Chopper Blues run they are sizable.  There is also Old Drum in the surf, especially on Hatteras Island.  Probably too heavy for you, but I like my 8’ rod with Penn Slammer III 4500 combo for most surf fishing but also fish a Slammer 5500 for heavier use. OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not enough to target specifically. The two that got posted to FB this year were the only two I have heard of being caught in the last three years. And its only ever 1 or 2 per year i see

Edited by Surfjunki

On 10/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, Inshore said:

Better check those weights.... 4000 per their site is 9.9oz and the C5000 is 10.4oz, my 5k with line weighs 10.9.

The only difference between the two is spool depth (deeper on the 5k = better line capacity) and round knob on 5k.

Go with more line....

+1 for this.

4 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

What is the main fish in the NC surf?

Red drum, black drum, roundhead, Spanish mackerel, blues, speckled trout, flounder, pompano, spot, croaker. All seasonal