Sensitive 8’ rod that can throw 3oz lead?

Rate this topic

Sevendust111

I currently have a 8’ Tica Surge MH mod-fast 1/2-2oz rod paired with a Penn Fierce III. I am using this rod for both surf fluke and spots/kingfish. I am looking to upgrade(this set up is going to my 7yo). The Tica is a little tank but has no sensitivity and kingies aren’t much fun on it. Also I lose some due to sensitivity. 

If you know south jersey you know how flat it is and how strong the current is. I need to be able to chuck a 3oz pyramid when fishing for kingfish down there for distance and to hold. Even though the Surge is only rated at 2oz I can whale it out there with 3oz no problem. I need to be able to cast 3oz with no fear. I’d rather it to be 2 piece and mod-fast. Looking to spend about 250$ Gonna be paired with a Slammer 4500. This is what I found so far...

St. Croix Mojo Surf Spinning 8’

St. Croix Avid Surf Spinning 8’

ODM DNA 8’ (too weak?)

Any thoughts on these three? Any other ideas? Thanks guys.

Edited by Sevendust111

1 hour ago, Chris367 said:

I picked up the 8' avid in the beginning of summer for exactly what you are looking to do, I mostly fish Brigantine.

Paired it with a daiwa ballistic lt 5000 and it's a nice light setup. 

I was only tossing 2ozs with the kingfish rigs, it handled that fine. 

You think it could handle whaling 3oz, not super hard but somewhat hard?

Edited by Sevendust111

9 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

You think it could handle whaling 3oz, not super hard but somewhat hard?

I'll be heading down the weekend after halloween. I'll grab a 3oz weight and see how it feels. If you're close to Brigantine your welcome to meet up and see how it feels for yourself.

3 hours ago, Chris367 said:

I'll be heading down the weekend after halloween. I'll grab a 3oz weight and see how it feels. If you're close to Brigantine your welcome to meet up and see how it feels for yourself.

I’m a fair ways south of Brigantine and this is the last weekend I will be in south jersey until the spring, but I really appreciate the offer. Please let me know how you do with the 3oz, I really appreciate it.