FishyAl

Fish ID

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, z-man said:

That thing is pretty beat up. Did a big bass grab it while you were reeling it in? Most of the biggest bass I’ve caught were live lining hickory shad. 

Not sure. Most of the bass around were  under 20 inches 

Something I never could’ve expected happened last night. Fishing same tide I caught a handful of schoolies, a few blues, another Shad and a Weakfish made an appearance! Beautiful fish

033BD4E2-CF79-4BBF-B38C-C55FD110FD0D.jpeg

21 hours ago, z-man said:

That thing is pretty beat up. Did a big bass grab it while you were reeling it in? Most of the biggest bass I’ve caught were live lining hickory shad. 

I have had bass follow them whilst on my line as well as then being hit and torn right off the small jigs  during the fight.

their scales come off   if held in the wind.

HH

2 hours ago, FishyAl said:

Something I never could’ve expected happened last night. Fishing same tide I caught a handful of schoolies, a few blues, another Shad and a Weakfish made an appearance! Beautiful fish

033BD4E2-CF79-4BBF-B38C-C55FD110FD0D.jpeg

I guess those guys on LI who told me that they used chucked hickory shad for weakies knew what they were talking about. ;) 

I caught a lot of weaks down there, but only on artificials. We used to have have a little thing going among a few of us, which we called the "Jones Inlet Grand Slam"---a bass, blue, weak, and fluke, all on the same tide and all on artificials. I did it more than once, and you will never know what "fun" is--or more accurately, isn't--until you unhook two sets of trebles from a fluke. They loved Bombers.

One difference between Hickory and American Shad is that Hickory Shad eat baits/lures. American Shad are like herring, they are filter feeders eating plankton.

I use small lures, like curly tail grubs on small jigs, small kastmasters and small Storm Shads.

They are fun to catch, fight well and are awesome striper candy.

The last time I livelined one was some years back, it was roughly 12" long and I got a 34" bass on it.

When america shad are done with the spawning run and dropping back down, they eat bait fish, lures and flies very aggressively (and not just out of reaction or anger, like they do when they're on the spawning run). Head to the mouth of some big, shad run rivers when the shad are dropping back down and watch some of the feeds they go one. My descriptions would lead you to believe I'm talking about hickory shad, until you hook up with one and finally beach a 4-5 lb shad in heavy current)

24 mins ago, albacized said:

When america shad are done with the spawning run and dropping back down, they eat bait fish, lures and flies very aggressively (and not just out of reaction or anger, like they do when they're on the spawning run). Head to the mouth of some big, shad run rivers when the shad are dropping back down and watch some of the feeds they go one. My descriptions would lead you to believe I'm talking about hickory shad, until you hook up with one and finally beach a 4-5 lb shad in heavy current)

Yes this used to happen to me back when I fished the Merrimack. I even got a couple outside the jetties along the beach. Definitely much bigger than hickorys (which I don't think range that far north). First time it happened I thought I had a salmon after a couple jumps.

I think that past experience is why I initially thought the fish in the OP was an American. Now I know better.