FishyAl

Fish ID

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Just now, hotfishgirl said:

hickory shad

How can you tell?

I'm not doubting you, just wondering what you see that convinced you. I don't know the ID points without looking them up.

5 mins ago, Milky said:

Seems a little long and thin for a hickory. Maybe an American shad? Where from?

I thought American Shad too but has more stripes in the middle vs the dots near the head. Caught in buzzards bay on a peanut storm Shad

22 mins ago, Milky said:

Nice size for a hickory. I don't mind admitting I like catching hickorys. Lots of fun on light tackle.

My first ever caught. Targeting schoolies. Great fight 

41 mins ago, Milky said:

Nice size for a hickory. I don't mind admitting I like catching hickorys. Lots of fun on light tackle.

The ones I've caught recently are the largest that I've ever seen. They have weak skin around their mouths and jump like crazy, so I tend to land about a third of the fish that I hook.

1 hour ago, Milky said:

How can you tell?

I'm not doubting you, just wondering what you see that convinced you. I don't know the ID points without looking them up.

Thinner profile than American Shad.  American Shad have clearly defined dots along their side where Hickorys have smokey blotches.  You can clearly see that the markings are not the dots of an American Shad in the picture.  Lastly I don't think you would find an American Shad inshore outside of Spring.  From what I understand they either go deep or up to the bay of Fundy in non spawn years.  Hickories are known for coming into Harbors.

Hickories are all over this time of year. Traditionally they're a spring target for many but they're actually a lot easier to catch in the fall I've found. All over RI right now.

They're often called mini tarpon because they fight like hell on light gear, and jump like tarpon. I imagine they're related. We had a lot of fun catching them off East Beach and Wasque on the Vineyard in the early 2000s. 

Some guys on Long Island used to swear that they were great chunk bait for weakfish. 

21 hours ago, FishyAl said:

Any ideas? First thought hickory shad?
DFDD3648-1C2A-4E59-A42B-35F319D83EB9.png.cc09544ff8aac0952e5c63ef8dfba550.png

That thing is pretty beat up. Did a big bass grab it while you were reeling it in? Most of the biggest bass I’ve caught were live lining hickory shad. 

33 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

They're often called mini tarpon because they fight like hell on light gear, and jump like tarpon. I imagine they're related. We had a lot of fun catching them off East Beach and Wasque on the Vineyard in the early 2000s. 

Some guys on Long Island used to swear that they were great chunk bait for weakfish. 

Believe it or not, tarpon are actually more so related to eels (as are bonefish and lady fish)