flyrad10

I Have A Crazy Idea: Beach Fly Rod Tournament at Robert Moses State Park

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Or perhaps an alternative title should have been: What Are the Toughest Open Ocean Beaches You Have Ever Fished.  Anyway just thinking, what about staging  an open ocean only fly rod tournament with two categories, one handed and two Handed at field two Robert Moses State Park October 15th to 22nd.  For surf casters it’s no big deal but this is one of the toughest places to fly fish and puts the ‘Out’ in ‘Out Front’ Such an event would generate tremendous excitement, test the skill of anglers and resolve many questions and issues generated on this board. For example does one need to throw 100 ft casts or can success be found by dabbling flies 10 ft from shore. It would be kind of like the old Jamaica Bay Kayak Tournament. Of course it might not be practical in the Covid -19 era but would be a great celebration post vaccine or after the Covid-19 restrictions are completely removed, if ever. Skills and rods would be tested to the max. 

Edited by flyrad10

19 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Or perhaps an alternative title should have been: What Are the Toughest Open Ocean Beaches You Have Ever Fished.  Anyway just thinking, what about staging  an open ocean only fly rod tournament with two categories, one handed and two Handed at field two Robert Moses State Park October 15th to 22nd.  For surf casters it’s no big deal but this is one of the toughest places to fly fish and puts the ‘Out’ in ‘Out Front’ Such an event would generate tremendous excitement, test the skill of anglers and resolve many questions and issues generated on this board. For example does one need to throw 100 ft casts or can success be found by dabbling flies 10 ft from shore. It would be kind of like the old Jamaica Bay Kayak Tournament. Of course it might not be practical in the Covid -19 era but would be a great celebration post vaccine or after the Covid-19 restrictions are completely removed, if ever. Skills and rods would be tested to the max. 

FlyRad,   

I'm in if you can find a way to "seed" the beach with plenty of slot fish (and larger) for the event.   

Free Sam Adams Larger or Lagunitas and steamers would would help to make a better draw as well :)

HT

Nice idea, maybe a bit of info from RM locals on what's been happening.

A bunch of 1 handers were out here on the North Fork early this week, but nothing from the beach.

I'll show up, especially  for HT's 'larger' Sam Adamses !!!

1 hour ago, flyrad10 said:

OK, I'm in a snarky mood so I'll roll with it, I have a few questions:

1.  What makes you think this will generate tremendous excitement ?

2.  How would it resolve Many questions and issues?  We already know you can catch fish 100' out and dabbling in the wash, it just depends where the fish are feeding.

3. Why do you think this is one of the toughest places to fly fish? I'd say Montauk and the rocks of Rhode Island have an open sandy beach beat in this category.

I would show up for beer and steamers though.

OkIe you are a lovely enigma.  Mostly very considerate and kind. You are a crusty snarky Bastage to. Which is also very endearing .

Its just a joyous idea. If it gets guys out there post  Covid let’s rejoice.

Everything else is just a detail. Sam Adams Boston or three. Kelly Kettle Tea and a ruck of jammy dougnuts.

Rock on.

oly

Yes I did take my pill today.

5 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

OkIe you are a lovely enigma.  Mostly very considerate and kind. You are a crusty snarky Bastage to. Which is also very endearing .

Everything else is just a detail. Sam Adams Boston or three. Kelly Kettle Tea and a ruck of jammy dougnuts.

Rock on.

oly

I thought you might show up as the voice of reason, I do see your point.  

Still have questions!  

:worms:

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Rock on.

oly

"Enigma".... Mike the proverbial hitting the nail on the head.   

Little does everyone know that actually he'd give you the shirt off his back....he just doesn't want us to tell anyone he did it  :)

I'll bring the beer!!

Edited by HillTop

Oakman
1. Not any more, you killed the vibe but it was a ridiculous idea anyhow.

2. Obviously, I should quit fly fishing there and switch over to chucking diamond jigs. 

3. 3-4 foot waves with short period between them crashing right on shore. with a dangerous wash going from 0 feet to 3 feet in seconds Only fished Montauk about 4 times and it was difficult as well but not like Moses and  never caught a fish there and never fished Rhode Island so can’t comment.

Many years ago I would organize a fall fly fling at Moses, would try to schedule for a good pre dawn outgoing. The plan was to fish the point at Demo. Many accepted but best I could get in three seasons was 2 attendees plus myself!  Kudos to BrianBM, mully made the walk with me with a strong wind in our faces the whole way, didn't think he could do it...tough conditions  but we were rewarded with a few small bass for our efforts, all in all I called it a success. Maybe if I had portable bbq and plenty beer in the truck the attendance would've been better, but then the fishing might have suffered!