JohnW93

Book Recommendations

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Looking for book recommendations related to surf fishing. Picked up the hobby recently, and would like to spend the winter learning in preparation for the Spring run. I fish the LI South Shore, if that information is helpful. 

I’ve been looking at stuff from John Skinner and Zeno Hromin, but haven’t made any purchases. Any help would be appreciated! 

John Skinner's books would be my suggestion too. Excellent reads with some more current information and you can watch his YouTube videos that "support" the chapters in the books.  Definitely relevant to your neck of the woods too.  Zeno's books are great too. I have and read them all.  

The other John W!

Read all of Frank Daignaults books,and Dennis Zambrotta book and articles....if u wish I can send you some books to read,just send them back when u r finished,no problem

Edited by m12d78

I agree with all the recommendations so far.....have read just about all of them.....some more than once. That said, please do not give up fall fishing to do your reading. It is just starting and will continue into January. My last three stripers were Jan 12th of this year. Do not miss the fall run.....

4 mins ago, beret said:

I agree with all the recommendations so far.....have read just about all of them.....some more than once. That said, please do not give up fall fishing to do your reading. It is just starting and will continue into January. My last three stripers were Jan 12th of this year. Do not miss the fall run.....

Yes, definitely not! I plan on getting out to western LI tomorrow and Sunday. I appreciate all the advice so far — this forum has been so helpful and welcoming since I’ve joined. 

Skinner's Season on the Edge isn't specifically a 'how to' but a narrative of fishing through a year on LI. Should get you excited! Or decide he's an obsessive nut and give up fishing.

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Skinner's Season on the Edge isn't specifically a 'how to' but a narrative of fishing through a year on LI. Should get you excited! Or decide he's an obsessive nut and give up fishing.

Love this book, read it every March in a night or two to hype me up for the season.

Edited by C.Robin

At Beret - Jan 12 last catch ?  How cold was the water? South Shore...too many question I’m new to LI fishing having done most in NJ. LI south shore is really nice.  I’m mostly at Jones Beach and Robert Moses. Those still worth my time in Dec?