Catskill John

Quality Coolers

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

These hi end coolers do live up to their reputation. Might be some better than others, but probably near the same in performance. Personally, I use 2 RTIC coolers, a 65 and a 110. In the fall I use the 65 as a freezer and the 110 for backup ice, bag of food, and a place to put bags of fresh. I put zip locs with 6 spot  per bag already frozen into the 65 with ice and salt. Adding ice and salt occasionally will keep it frozen forever. 

Anyway, the first day of my trip, 10/2/20, I put 2 -40lbs bags of ice into the 110 with a poked hole or two, then added loose ice. The top 40lb was cut open to bury some bags of fresh. Also, I was replenished with ice every couple days by Eric, so I never went to deep in the backup ice. 

All that said, I didn’t empty that cooler (sitting in the back of my truck) till 10/20/20 = 18 days. 

This is what the bottom bag looked like when I dumped it. 

2ECF2E46-2BBC-4E2E-B1A0-F569AD95B3B6.jpeg.10bbf23999cddeb383a5a399a4616ea0.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bought a Yeti 60 Qt. Had it in the trunk of my Camry ( commuter car ) this summer just to keep bottled water in. Cooler was warm and water was warm. Ice was melted in one day but the water stayed cold for 2 days after. I'd say by the reviews, RTIC is about the same in design and cheaper. Still better than the standard cooler.

Edited by 7nBait

We've got 2 Rtic coolers as well (the 45 and the 20) and couldn't be happier with them. On our recent 10 day trip I put 20lbs of ice in the 45 and 10lbs in the 20 at the start of the trip and the coolers stayed in the back of my truck the entire time. At day the end of the trip I bought another 10lbs of ice just to make sure I had enough to keep things cold for the trip home, though I didn't really need it. 

Our old coolers, we were having to put new ice in every day...

I love my RTIC, it takes a beating and still keeps everything cool.  I forgot to strap it down on my front rack and hit the infamous bump at 70mph on the bypass by the Sby mall and it went flying across the road, it didn't open and only had some small scratches, I thought it was going to be destroyed.

I bought a Yeti cooler in March of 2016. Still has the same ice in it I put in it that day.

All kidding aside, I do use a RTIC 110 for one specific task. Transporting a cooler full of frozen fish from Florida to Maryland. Each year I spend two weeks in the Tampa area and fill the cooler with a years worth of mostly snapper and grouper. Ice on the bottom, fish in the middle and dry ice on top. It stays hard frozen all the way home.

I have a RTIC 65, had it since 2017.  Works great like they say.  However people who have issues with any of the rotomold, you do need to pre cool them before you throw ice in them. I usually put a bunch of ice packs in the night before.

10 mins ago, ne_dan said:

I have a RTIC 65, had it since 2017.  Works great like they say.  However people who have issues with any of the rotomold, you do need to pre cool them before you throw ice in them. I usually put a bunch of ice packs in the night before.

I think that is the biggest mistake people make, loading up a hot cooler. I use cheep coolers for beverages and even those, if you dump one bag of ice in it the night before, to pre cool it, it's more effective for a longer period of time..

Edited by Trainman327

Plastic milk jugs filled with water, frozen. Great for cooling a cooler. Put in the night before, and your set in the morning. Also, precool or freeze things you pack if possible. 

The less air in a cooler, the longer it will stay cold!

Edited by Catskill John

6 hours ago, Catskill John said:

The less air in a cooler, the longer it will stay cold!

Exactly the reason why the ice with the hole down the middle is way less effective. Your better off if you can find solid ice cubes. 

What the what?  Precooling a cooler?  I never heard of such a thing.  And I certainly would not expect to have to do that with a $200-$500 cooler.  Heck I have a 48 can Thermos cooler that is likely 15 years old and we use it every Wednesday for volleyball. It sits in the trunk of my car all day with left over cans.  I buy one cold case and a 12 lb. bag And they are cold in no time. Admittedly it only has to last the night.   I honestly will never understand the whole Yeti hype. Before you ask, no I am never out for 10 days or transporting fish more than two hours home. For some, I suppose it makes sense...just not me.

Edited by mrscott24

I have 120 qt RTIC on the boat

A 28 qt Lifetime i use in my truck

And I picked up a 70 qt Ozark Trail at Walmart that was marked down to $80.

They all keep ice pretty much the same amount of time provided there isn't much dead space at the top of the cooler.

Since cold air falls it takes a great amount of cold air to fill in the dead space above the ice and you lose it pretty quick going in and out.  

I have gone a week with the Ozark Trail till the ice was completely melted.  Think I had filled it with 30lbs of ice and then added a 10lb bag 2 days later to top it off.

I have an Orca 56 qt, made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.  I've had it for two years and it keeps ice for sure, but it is bulky.  At the time I bought it, I think it was around $100 cheaper than the equivalent yeti.  I don't necessarily regret buying it; however, If I had to do it over i would have went for something cheaper as I really only need to keep ice for a weekend not 6 days.

There is a decent site for outdoor gear reviews and they have a cooler review, just google outdoor gear lab.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, Eduardo Kang said:

I have an Orca 56 qt, made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.  I've had it for two years and it keeps ice for sure, but it is bulky.  At the time I bought it, I think it was around $100 cheaper than the equivalent yeti.  I don't necessarily regret buying it; however, If I had to do it over i would have went for something cheaper as I really only need to keep ice for a weekend not 6 days.

There is a decent site for outdoor gear reviews and they have a cooler review, just google outdoor gear lab.

I agree  I have one as well  and definitely wouldn't buy another.  Too  heavy and cumbersome. I cant imagine a  older person lugging one around.  Yeah they keep ice longer than a regular cooler but  nothing that special  imo. 

I had this great igloo that smelled like bait and didn't have hinges.  I believe Chris called it the big stink.  Every time, and I mean EVERY time I told Marcus to grab some bait from my cooler he would fling the lid across the hood of my car.  I had it for 10 years.  Kept ice for 4-5 hours.  I used to cut bait on the top and not clean it.  It once held a Cobia...folded in half.

I bought a new one last year.  Still has the hinges. :th: