cweed

Round Vallet Reservior

28 posts in this topic

It's low as ****.....I don't think it' any lower than it was a few weeks ago.  And guys manage....It's a little bit of a drive from where the water used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't mean to hijack but just curious about that place. Was bank fishing there about a month back and it felt like I wasn't seeing a lot of signs of life. Is it more yak fishing there? Went to spruce run same day and seemed even more post apocalyptic. I've been trying to get a sense of what FW spots in NJ are known to be victims of algae or pesticide run off.

 

That underwater vegetation to the right of the ramp along the rocks looks like it should be loaded with baitfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Don't mean to hijack but just curious about that place. Was bank fishing there about a month back and it felt like I wasn't seeing a lot of signs of life. Is it more yak fishing there? Went to spruce run same day and seemed even more post apocalyptic. I've been trying to get a sense of what FW spots in NJ are known to be victims of algae or pesticide run off.

 

That underwater vegetation to the right of the ramp along the rocks looks like it should be loaded with baitfish.

20 plus years ago RV was my favorite place to fish. The herring population back then produced some quality fish. As the herring population diminished so did the fishing. To say it is no longer what it was is an understatement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

20 plus years ago RV was my favorite place to fish. The herring population back then produced some quality fish. As the herring population diminished so did the fishing. To say it is no longer what it was is an understatement. 

That's unfortunate. Seems to be the case for a lot of the FW in that part of the state. Nice views and gorgeous landscapes but water looks almost uninhabited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, Flip n Dip said:

20 plus years ago RV was my favorite place to fish. The herring population back then produced some quality fish. As the herring population diminished so did the fishing. To say it is no longer what it was is an understatement. 

Before it was built -Filled we hunted it - It was well-stocked with Pheasants & over crowed ( Dangerous )  took years to fill. and became a premier lake till it was ruined with a Public Beach that was closed 75% of the time from chloroform from people pissing in the lake NO BS. Boating was.  a madhouse with many drawdowns. Bad management. F-I=U not like Spruce Run where a lot of Clubs stock and maintain it. Why would you want to launch at Round Valley in the first place?  Stock photos show a few of the problems

 

Ps. At Spruce Run we found out the hard way fishing from shore near the Earthen Dams, the Rocks were full of Copper Heads  :banghd:

low.jpg

low 2.jpg

ramp.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to dive there filming some stuff for BassMaster magazine and Yama - Without a doubt state record smallies and largemouth in there. Amazing to see what spawns there in spring . Most of the big fish were spawning in 8 to 10 ft of water being that the water was so clear. The smaller fish were in 3 to 4 ft. We would dive 30 feet down The grass was green and healthy-Thats where the 8lbs and bigger were. We would dive along the riprap and see schools of smallies that would blow your mind. The one this that stood out was us filming for 6 hrs -a 4 lb male spawning with 4- 6 LB females on the same bed. No one has ever filmed that before. Made the cover of BASS West Magazine. So dont let anyone kid ya -there are giants in there  just fish deeper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, member_87206 said:

Used to dive there filming some stuff for BassMaster magazine and Yama - Without a doubt state record smallies and largemouth in there. Amazing to see what spawns there in spring . Most of the big fish were spawning in 8 to 10 ft of water being that the water was so clear. The smaller fish were in 3 to 4 ft. We would dive 30 feet down The grass was green and healthy-Thats where the 8lbs and bigger were. We would dive along the riprap and see schools of smallies that would blow your mind. The one this that stood out was us filming for 6 hrs -a 4 lb male spawning with 4- 6 LB females on the same bed. No one has ever filmed that before. Made the cover of BASS West Magazine. So dont let anyone kid ya -there are giants in there  just fish deeper.

 

What year were you there last seeing these big bass? I doubt it was recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was years ago They really put a damper on diving there since 9/11  Believe me that lake is probably the most pristine for growing giant bass. The water is clean and healthy. Plenty of food for them . Deep water is abundant. Not a lot of fishing pressure for bass.  Best way to fool the giants is to fish at night when the big girls move up shallow.. Daytime is tough -The water is so clear and their eyes are so acute to what they have been eating for many years. So fishing glide baits or walking baits fool bigger bass at night. They go for silhouette and movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, member_87206 said:

It was years ago

 

This was probably pre collapse of the habitat/food chain. I hope they figure it out but it's been a decade since forage species have died out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.