Motorcrazy

Needle fish lure recommendation

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a needle fish lure for nightime, any recommendations on weight, size, and lure company. Is one better than they other, a lot to choose from. Thanks in advance.

I fish a lot of Super strikes stuff... their sinking needlefish is good. Weight is going to depend on your conditions/location... I like them in White, blurrple, or midnight massacre. 

Too many reputable builders and companies to list them off here. I'd do a search on the forums, there are many many in depth threads on needles and their presentations. If your looking to get your feet wet you won't go wrong with a few Superstrike needles. The Yellow eye's are very versatile plugs. Start simple, a yellow and a blurple is really all you need. If you want to throw a little money around and have some fun I would check out Beach Master. BM produces several sizes and styles of wooden needles and the plugs are consistent fish catchers.

As was mentioned above the specific conditions (surf, wind, current, depth, bait, etc) dictate what needle you want to throw.

45 mins ago, Motorcrazy said:

I purchased a blurple 1 3/4 ounce super strike, I understand it's a very slow retrieve when fishing it.

Let the fish tell you what they want but a good rule of thumb when plugging the surf is the slower the better :th:

Thank you for the advise, I have been surf fishing now for a few years with very little success, but not giving up, this has been my best year with a few fish mixed in, but generally it's learning on the go with lures.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Motorcrazy said:

I purchased a blurple 1 3/4 ounce super strike, I understand it's a very slow retrieve when fishing it.

Slow to almost boring, but when that fish hits, it's golden. Trial & error make for technique. I mostly fish bucktails, but decided years ago to try a needle, and was I surprised. When the conditions are right, the needle will equal the bucktail and sometimes out fish it, but all depends on location and conditions. Floating or sinking. Can't go wrong with the super strike needle. Slow, consistent retrieve with a slight twitch every now and then. Both lures almost fish the same, but with different retrieve speed depending on weight, conditions & location. Ditch the rear hook for a single 5/0 siwash hook or flag. The larger 5/0 hook will act as a keel and make the lure track better.

Edited by Fishtale7

7 mins ago, Motorcrazy said:

The super strike needle I bought has a single hook in the rear.

It's a 3/0. Go with the 5/0 or flag. Where are your fishing grounds?

So many choices 

I would  buy a olive needle a black  needle and use those 2

Needles come up to the surface. 

You can swim them down deep , takes a feel for the lure. 

As far as buying them, i will make it easy buy. Beachmaster,  gibbs, superstrke.

I use Needles alot