Cast Away

Need Small Spinning reel Recommendation

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I’m in the market for a small spinner to match up with likely a 7’6 rod. I’ll be using the reel in 3 different applications; throwing bucktails for fluke off the beach in summer, throwing small jigs for tog off the rocks and as a spare reel for a friend for fluke/sea bass fishing off a small boat. It won’t get too much use so not trying to break the bank but looking for the best bang for buck. I just want a reel that won’t break the first time it smells salt or sees sand. 

So far I’m thinking Daiwa BG 3000/3500. The only worry I have is the anti reverse switch.  Any other suggestions?

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

You want to get it wet, forget the bg, go with something else with a bit more sealing.

The goal with this would be to not get it wet but we all know it happens. Any suggestions? 

I love the Stradic, and the newer FL is the best yet... As for getting sand or salt water in it.. yeah not a good idea. Don’t dunk it, lay them in the sand, and wash em off tho, and should treat you good. 

I don't have an answer for you. So far, the two reel that has failed me is the gosa and the slammer. The slammer isn't feeling all that great, but it does work in the surf.  

21 mins ago, canary said:

10oz?go to SPHEROS 4000 hg/xg (or nasci 5k, but shaft hex handle).

....Keep in mind that bg 3k is small, but 3500 is body 4k=14oz.

I was thinking the 3500 weight would be a nice fit. Spheros is my second choice to the BG

10 mins ago, hobobob said:

I don't have an answer for you. So far, the two reel that has failed me is the gosa and the slammer. The slammer isn't feeling all that great, but it does work in the surf.  

Is it the slammer 3?

I use a Stradic 4000 and love it. I take care of it and rinse it after each trip. It maybe a bit pricier than some of the other recommendations but I think its worth it. 

If you do decide on the BG, try this. It prevent most sand / water splashes from top, not from under the rotor.  Usually, the 1st thing to go are the two pinion bearings + ant reverse. 

If you go with the BG, go with the 3000, not 3500...the 3500 is a much bigger reel. The 2500 is the same reel as the 3000, with  the latter having a larger spool...while the 3500 is the same as a 4000, but with the latter having a larger spool

I think you should look at the spinfisher....nothing easier to break down.....lots of sealing.  Does everything well...

The 2020 battle 3 is pretty sweet for the coin too..

BG is the best performer along with the SW Spheros which is a stradic.

But they aren't very simple when it comes to maintenance.

You can get to where you need to get to clean and lube in 3 mins on the penns....and reassembly is far simpler... Essentially a screw driver and a wrench...vs screwdriver, wrench, pick tool, hex this and that..futzing with retaining clips and such...