Woodysnooker3

Vsx 200 handle is stiff

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Woodysnooker3 said:

My vsx200 handle is stiffer than usual. Is it the seals? Flipper? How to fix? 

Throw some royal purple on the reel, if that doesn't help then it's time to send her in

There is not much you can do if you can't get into the reel other than putting some oil or light grease on the spool shaft and some on the main gear shaft after you remove the handle.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

If nothing is change,  the reel just suddenly become hard to reel, that could be water has gotten inside and corroded some of the bearings.

You got that right, l have seen that you need to pop the side cover off and look inside could look like this that was my reel lucky simple fix one bearing and seals.

Still have the reel and never had it happened again l do check clean but instead of grease l use 10/30 motor oil when it starts to leak oil l do a seal replacement.

100_0389.JPG

Edited by LB

LB, the retainer that attaches the traverse guide to the main shaft on your reel looks different than mine which I think is a 5/16th nut.

4 hours ago, Woodysnooker3 said:

My vsx200 handle is stiffer than usual. Is it the seals? Flipper? How to fix? 

It's worth mentioning the grease they ship with stiffens up is cooler weather. Maybe that has something to do with it? I do the motor oil like LB suggested and don't have that issue anymore. 

58 mins ago, LowEnd said:

LB, the retainer that attaches the traverse guide to the main shaft on your reel looks different than mine which I think is a 5/16th nut.

Sharp eye, that reel was one of the first runs VS100 l bought it in 1997, That shaft has been changed since that picture was taken to the new style with the 5/16 nut, first run of reels had a nickel plated shaft and planting would flake off over time when the shaft was flexed and that would cut up your quad seal as you can see water got in, l sent the reel in and had it updated l had VS change the side cover from round to hex for easier removal and a new type spool shaft installed all done for free that reel has a lifetime warranty, reel on the right is the reel l aim talking about VS100 it has also internal counterbalance so now up to date new spool shaft hex side cover and l just bought the new drag knob not showing in the picture.

Handle knobs l made.

20200529_172036.jpg

Edited by LB

9 mins ago, Woodysnooker3 said:

Anybody have a VS wrench I can buy to take a look at what’s going on? 

Use an adjustable wrench.  There’s a how-to on here.  Make sure the nub in the main gear is in the traverse guide properly before putting it back on.

11 mins ago, RocksMeEasy said:

Use an adjustable wrench.  There’s a how-to on here.  Make sure the nub in the main gear is in the traverse guide properly before putting it back on.

Anybody know how to find the video? 

14 mins ago, Woodysnooker3 said:

Anybody have a VS wrench I can buy to take a look at what’s going on? 

l think VS sells a nylon wrench for them,   

29 mins ago, Woodysnooker3 said:

Anybody know how to find the video? 

Utube is your best bet.

Edited by LB