Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kid_just_wants_to_fish

Waders

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation on waders under 200 dollars? I would really only use them in the spring, summer, fall. I would want breathable ones so I'm not sweating.

Thank You.

I have used LL Bean waders for years and they have always been reliable.  This year I replaced them with Orvis Clearwaters that I really like as well.  I like the Orvis a little more because they have the pocket in the front. But they also cost more than the Bean waders I had previously.

What size are you? If you're tall and thin I've got a pair for free.....well you pick up or pay for shipping. Size 10 boot foot but a 9.5 fits great. Let me know.....wore them three times.

10 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation on waders under 200 dollars? I would really only use them in the spring, summer, fall. I would want breathable ones so I'm not sweating.

Thank You.

Just as a matter of record, you WILL sweat in your waders, breathable or not.  "Breathable" waders are kind of a marketing ploy, yes the fabric will "breathe" when you are out of the water, I guess, on a microscopic level, scientifically, but don't expect a magic bullet here.

7 mins ago, Oakman said:

Just as a matter of record, you WILL sweat in your waders, breathable or not.  "Breathable" waders are kind of a marketing ploy, yes the fabric will "breathe" when you are out of the water, I guess, on a microscopic level, scientifically, but don't expect a magic bullet here.

There's still a big difference between goretex and neoprene. Huge. :read:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would never discount the value of breathable waders. IMHO it's one of the greatest advancements in fishing technology in our era. I will never buy another pair that are not breathable. I think the trick is to get your clothing underneath correct. If you overdress you will sweat more than normal and get cold quickly. I usually wear a base layer of polypropylene long johns. If it's cold I add lightweight fleece pants. If it's very cold, I add heavy fleece pants. 

For fishing open beaches I prefer bootfoot waders. They are easy on/off, and there are no issues with sand inside wading shoes which I absolutely hate. For fishing rocks which I honestly don't do nearly as much as I used to, I go with bibs and studded wading boots. 

I have been buying LL Bean waders recently. I have the Emergers right now. I am not a big guy, and I like the way these fit, they are not super baggy. They are going to be a little over your budget, but not a lot over. 

Good luck with your decision.   

Edited by Gilbey

Having  LL Bean & Patagonia ,Orvis & Simms just can't go wrong , the importance is that you don't leave them in your car or garage to get mildew , hang them to air dry they will last longer , 

sierratradingpost has all you need(even simms) at discount prices ,everything from under 100 to $500...

if you fish hard and hike a lot quality matters,if it's all beach fishing you can go cheap

Edited by slip n slide

9 hours ago, Oakman said:

Depends also on how far you are walking and terrain.  I wear breathable and sometimes my trousers are soaking wet but it’s sweat not sea water. Some of us seem to sweat a lot. In spite of this I can’t see me going back to PVC.

They are not the silver bullet but they cost a lot of tin.

oly

Simms does have a wader under $200 called the Tributary.  I'm 5'6", just over 200lbs, and fit really well in the Large-King. There's not much limitation on mobility although they are a little slim through the lower calf and ankle. I usually wear one or two pairs of running tights under them and it's not an issue. My last pair were cheap department store waders and were very baggy. The slimmer leg reduces drag in the water while wading, something I never considered previously. The Tributary does breath pretty well if you wear breathable layers underneath.

Edited by gnihsif

I’ve had decent luck with the Redington Sonic Pro waders.

I look for them on sale and buy them.

I think I paid right about $200 for them.

I only fish the salt pretty much anymore and get three to four years out of each pair before they eventually leak, which in my opinion all waders eventually will.

I figure for about $50 or so a year they are worth it and I’d rather spend the money on other gear.

I used to wear Simms but don’t like their slimmer cut any longer, especially for layering in the winter.

Maybe because I’m fatter and older now.
I also always had to order bigger feet as they don’t seem to think taller folks have feet over size 13.

The next pair of Redington’s I buy will likely have a zipper which I’d gladly pay more to get.

If you can, I’d recommend taking your wading boots and the heaviest sock you’d wear while fishing and try some on before buying them.

Good luck in your .search.

SF