heyblue34

Under $400

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

This one falls a tier or two below your price point but I have heard the Redington Classic trout are a good choice in that price point.

I've heard the same and I plan on setting something up in a 2 or 3 weight using this rod (I currently don't own anything below a 5 weight)

I have been extremely impressed with my Fenwick HMG 5wt using it as a friggin work horse. Mine is from the current generation. I have beaten the sh** out of this rod, sobered up to to the sound of cone heads or weighted nymphs smashing the tip of the rod fishing in the dark, stored it half put together and rigged for the whole season in the bed of a work truck for the last 3 or 4 years, fished nymphs, dries and streamers on it. I has been everywhere from the McCloud River in California, Alpine ponds in Colorado, Smallmouths in the Connecticut, and Maine trout streams. The rod has never let me down. I have broken more expensive rods being much more careful. The Aetos casts pretty good too but I havent put one through the paces like the HMG.

Ask your self what you are looking for in a rod. A tool? something fancy? a little bit of both?

Another vote for the Orvis Clearwater.  I have the 8'6" 5wt that I use for trout and whatever I get into fishing on my lunch break (sometimes trout, mostly panfish and bass).  All good suggestions in the thread though, probably wont be disappointed with any of the rods mentioned.  I have the Fenwick Aetos in an 8wt and love it, but I think it's a faster action rod than most of the ones mentioned here.  Maybe the 5wt is a little different, not sure.

On 10/22/2020 at 0:44 AM, Del Gue said:

An Orvis Clearwater 5 wt 8'6" or 9' will run you $198.00  Comes with a 25 year guarantee and is made in the U.S.A.

The Clearwater line of rods are imported. They are still great rods for the price and would be my top choice to fit the OP's requirements.

The Classic Trout is also a great rod for the price but it is a little slower than I like for all around trout fishing. In my hands it's good for smaller and lighter offerings but I throw a lot of bead and conehead patterns and I do better with a little faster action. Absolutely love my 2 wt CT for tiny unweighted buggers and dries though.

Yellowstone angler routinely does their rod "shoot-outs" which should be taken with a grain of salt but can be a good starting point to see what's out there. They reviewed 5wt rods for 2020. 

3 hours ago, DAQ said:

The Clearwater line of rods are imported. They are still great rods for the price and would be my top choice to fit the OP's requirements.

The Classic Trout is also a great rod for the price but it is a little slower than I like for all around trout fishing. In my hands it's good for smaller and lighter offerings but I throw a lot of bead and conehead patterns and I do better with a little faster action. Absolutely love my 2 wt CT for tiny unweighted buggers and dries though.

I've seen the classic trout mentioned a bunch in this thread. I agree with your take on it it is a pretty decent rod for the price and if the OP said they were after a rod for closer in work with dries and wets then I would recommend it but for all around probably wouldnt be on my list. Of course everyone is different and some people enjoy thowing 9 wt lines with their 5 wts.:worms:

The bvk is great. I believe that TFO just came out with a new rod to replace it. Might be worth looking at. Sometimes Winston comes out with a lower end rod between $200-$300. They are awesome rods. I just got a Clearwater. I'm going to use it for purely Euro nymphing.It is a 10-ft 4wt. If you are willing to purchase a used rod then I would go after a sage z-axis. That is literally the best fly rod ever made and I bet you could get it for around that price. 

Edited by Bendmar18

On 23/10/2020 at 3:58 AM, Mountain Brookies said:

I have been extremely impressed with my Fenwick HMG 5wt using it as a friggin work horse. Mine is from the current generation. I have beaten the sh** out of this rod, sobered up to to the sound of cone heads or weighted nymphs smashing the tip of the rod fishing in the dark, stored it half put together and rigged for the whole season in the bed of a work truck for the last 3 or 4 years, fished nymphs, dries and streamers on it. I has been everywhere from the McCloud River in California, Alpine ponds in Colorado, Smallmouths in the Connecticut, and Maine trout streams. The rod has never let me down. I have broken more expensive rods being much more careful. The Aetos casts pretty good too but I havent put one through the paces like the HMG.

Ask your self what you are looking for in a rod. A tool? something fancy? a little bit of both?

Love rods that can do this. They are real mates.

mike

On 10/22/2020 at 8:00 AM, Stonefish said:

It just a personal preference of liking a faster action rod for throwing streamers.

Nothing against the Classic Trout series which I’ve owned.

We’ve never had it so good when it comes to choices that don’t break the bank.

TFO BVK and Redington Vice come to mind off the top of my head.

I’d also look at what Echo has to offer.

As someone else mentioned, there is a ton of good used stuff out their as well.

If you could find a used Redington 9’ 5 wt CPS, that would be an excellent choice in my opinion.
If you aren’t in a rush and are willing to search around, you can find just about any discontinued rod you’d be interested in.

I recently picked up a new Sage X for half of retail.

The big thing is what works for me may not work for you.

If you can cast some rods before buying, that might help you in your decision.

Good luck in your search.

SF

I just picked up a new Sage X 6wt for $400. You need to have a bit of patience and some neuroticism. Good thing I'm a shopaholic, lol. Some girls buy shoes, I buy fishing gear :)

It appears that some online retailers now carry the newer model Fenwick Aetos.  Differences between the newer ones and older ones include dark double locking rings on the reel seat in newer, silver in older.  There may be other differences.  In 5wt there's an 8ft 6" and a 9ft.  In 4wt there's an 8ft and an 8ft 5wt.  Prices on the newer models are $199 to $225.  These are I think mostly faster action rods.  No reviews yet.

Also from limited online photo(s) it seems that Fenwick also changed the composition of the blank, added cross scrim re-enforcement of at least part of the blank (above the handle), upgraded the handle a bit with composite cork at both ends, and may have changed the running guides from single foot to double foot - not sure about this last item.  But there are supply chain issues, as the rods are mostly still unavailable.  I was interested in the 8'6" 5wt but will wait until I can get an actual rod in my hands.  The price is right but with all these changes I think this is a whole new rod and might cast differently and will likely be a bit heavier than the originals.  The look of the rods is more appealing, IMO. But looks are not everything.

Love my Classic Trout 9' 5wt($150). That paired with a Battenkill II($100) and Orvis Pro Trout line($100) is my go to.

For big, we're talking like Kelly Galloup stuff, I have a cheap old reel with an OPST head and a poly leader. The rod's action actually does quite well with a commando.

Following up on my posts, above, about the newer Aetos.  A person who bought one just posted online that the listed weight on his was wrong.  It was the newer model 9ft 5wt - listed as 3.2 oz.  He weighed it and it was really 3.7 oz..  Half an ounce - that's actually quite a difference.  Based on that I wonder if the newer rods are improved, or just beefed up and heavier. 

I won't be recommending the Aetos series anymore until I get my hands on a newer version 2 sample.  I like my 8ft 4wt Aetos a lot, especially for smaller streams and backpacking into places, but it's the older (lighter) model.   Also, I wish they included a rod sock and a simpler, non partitioned rod tube.  Still under $200 though (just).