BPR

Redfin

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Brand new 7” Redfin. Caught one fish (<20”) on first cast, hooked up and dropped another better fish on the next cast and when I got it back the back end was broken.  Didn’t bang any rocks or drop it before use. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

I bought the plug “loaded” from a reputable B&T where they remove it from the package, change the hardware, insert BB’s and reseal, but I don’t really see any specific connection to this process.

145A3832-E299-492C-B8E3-924B9A018642.jpeg

E8B294B9-1F21-4900-99E9-341C4B4638AF.jpeg

Could be a fluke. I will say that the plastic composition of these plugs has changed over the years. I’d return it. If they are reputable, I am sure they will replace it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The new fins body is a way thinner body wall. Thats why alot of guys, myself included like to fish old plugs. I've never seen that myself but, I've seen a sp broken like that tho. The manufacture and weight have varied so much over the years its almost not the same plug.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

In all my fishing the only breakage I ever experienced with a RedFin has been 

the rear hanger coming loose on the 5 1/4 inch. More common with Bombers. 

Makes sense with the bb load, when you cast and when the plug lands the bbs are slamming into the tail of the plug as the load moves around.probably fracturing the plastic.

l have never seen that before, l'm still using Red Fins that l have over 25 years and there loaded 20 to 25 BBs in them .

5 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

That plug already has a good amount of hook and rock rash for a plug with a total of two casts. You sure you bought a new plug?

I was thinking the same thing. And, not sure if it’s the light, but it appears to have a scrape right over the area that broke. 

10 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

The new fins body is a way thinner body wall. Thats why alot of guys, myself included like to fish old plugs. I've never seen that myself but, I've seen a sp broken like that tho. The manufacture and weight have varied so much over the years its almost not the same plug.

While I haven't seen any recently made RF's and do not dispute that they may or may not have a thinner body wall I can state with absolute certainty that wall thickness has varied greatly since the early 70's when compared with other plugs of the same vintage. The variances are in addition to different mold characteristics, different sizes; different weights and different plastics. Judging only from the little that can be seen in the picture and in my opinion the breakage had nothing to do with the load added, the type of load added (I knew many who loaded with bb's) and just looks, to me, like a clear case of the fish gaining leverage between the two hooks and since the tail is weaker it will fail before the body in most cases. As far as the plug looking more used than it should for only casts, that resulted in two hook-ups, newer mold RF's (flat sides, longer lip, wider lip, thicker lip) show scratches much faster than pebble-grained RF's due to their smooth sides. Welcome to the world of RF's

9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

That plug already has a good amount of hook and rock rash for a plug with a total of two casts. You sure you bought a new plug?

Fair question, but I’m certain it was brand new.  The first fish was hooked on the rear siwash and thrashed around enough to get hooked on the treble as well, but otherwise it’s as I described. I was actually surprised by the amount of wear as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like SC said the new RF plugs are not the same as the old RF a lot of things can go wrong from run to run and some molds will give you thicker plug walls than the next mold. 

Find some of the old Saltwater 7" HD Red Fin pebble finish sides.

Edited by LB

I fish redfins a lot.  One of my favorite place to fish requires three plugs.  Spook, redfin, and tsunami talking popper.  All of my Redfins are new and I have not seen that.  For what it's worth, I don't load them internally.