bassmaster

Gear you have broken this year

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Well, if anyone out there has ever tangled with BIG 150-200 pound Tarpon from the beach on solid ground (lures only), then let it be known that any gear suffers dearly! For some strange reason I was only hooking into absolute giants this season (biggest landed was 218 pounds).

And all that kinda crazy land based poon action does have consequences: 

3 Legend Surf rods got the boot

1 brand new Saltiga Expedition 5500 got smoked so many times and has never been the same. 

And 1 2020 Saltiga 18k got its roller/bail arm connection wallowed out..

Only setup that appears to be holding up to this kinda abuse thus far is Hanta heavy popping rod mated with Stella 18k....by no means a surf setup lol 

Blew up the AR on my VR125 on some #20 bass & #16 blues, On a positive note, my  Black hole Suzuki handled those monsters,  love that rod.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:01 PM, RockRonin said:

I've fished that rod almost exclusively all year since I got the new top. I have no problem with it. I have more expensive rods, but I always go back to that Mojo. I swear I'm trying to beat the thing to death. Over the winter I might look for a 10'6 Legend, but having two different weight tops for the same rod has made it my go to.

I typically grab my 9-6 AWE before my 9'mojo nowadays but that 9' mojo has been used and abused and has never given me any problems. Theres just something about the 10-6 I don't trust.  Maybe I'll pick up the other top section I think its rated for an 1oz -4oz and give that a try next year.

SC Legend surf rod after 2 months

SC Mojo inshore finally broke after 3 years of use

SC Mojo bass casting rod broke after 2 years

Boga grip- (Stolen)

Not much else was lost except for a couple plugs

On 10/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, BPR said:

Smashed my 10’ 6” Airwave Elite in the tailgate. Lucky it only caught the bottom eye.  On another note, I tried to contact Tsunami for guidance but only get crickets.  Anyone else have any experience with them?

If you bought it at a local shop, take it back there and see if they'll swap it out for you. Tsunami has a great warranty and some shops will take care of you knowing that Bimini Bay/Tsunami will take care of them. I broke my original Airwave yesterday. #FeelingYourPain 

A lot of broken st.croix's in this thread. I blew up a tsunami shield on a cownose, but those reels are basically disposable 

Lost my favorite popper to a hard sweep and snag in false dawn...i know where it is but can not get to it without a wet suit..my heart is broken

3 hours ago, C.Robin said:

A lot of broken st.croix's in this thread. I blew up a tsunami shield on a cownose, but those reels are basically disposable 

And they are mostly legends! My legend has been a powerhouse for me. 

Rough year in the surf lol. Broke my brand new 9ft carbon surf lami 4 guides down on my 2nd fish of the season bad defect. Then endless holes in the waders and broke the pouch zipper. Then my surf bag top is into shreds and holes in the compartments. And finally the reel seat on my odm dna 10ft broke 2n year in a row. Gonna be an expensive winter

My waiders leak bad, ripped both straps off

Lost some of my best needles.

Lost some plastic , who cares

VS 150 got sent out with vs pliers 

My cheep pliers are still working lol

No cutter fell off

3 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

And they are mostly legends! My legend has been a powerhouse for me. 

I've had a few SC rods that I've loved, but they've all been very stiff. I feel like even their moderate action rods are pretty fast...could be why they have been breaking for a lot of people.

21 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I've had a few SC rods that I've loved, but they've all been very stiff. I feel like even their moderate action rods are pretty fast...could be why they have been breaking for a lot of people.

I think it’s probably more user error. Too much pressure on the rod, drag too tight, high-sticking. 
all the legends I’ve handled are all super stuff as well. My 11’ legend actually has some bend to it though which is nice compared to the 10’ and 9’ I use. The newer models are actually really moderate with lots of bend. 

10’ blackhole Suzuki. Snapped on a hook set just under the second guide down. 
Korker triple threat soles, and korkers rocktrax. Both sets of korkers had studs torn out after getting hit by larger waves. 

2 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

10’ blackhole Suzuki. Snapped on a hook set just under the second guide down. 

Can you show the picture of the broken rod ?