bassmaster

Gear you have broken this year

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just killed a vs 150L   there pliers broke a anvil right off , no return,   killed 1  ultegera,    repaired another one , Have 2

Did not break any rods.

sending my 150 out want new gears

what have you destroyed:fire:

caught a **** load off Bass, Had a great year

Edited by bassmaster
Im from Cape Cod

Smashed my 10’ 6” Airwave Elite in the tailgate. Lucky it only caught the bottom eye.  On another note, I tried to contact Tsunami for guidance but only get crickets.  Anyone else have any experience with them?

Snapped the top on a 10'6 Mojo MMF throwing a diamond jig for distance. $25 and I had a new top in a few days.

Broke a SS Little Neck Popper 1st day out. 

My Surf Belt broke on me wading in the Raritan Bay...60# Boga and an $85 pair of pliers I bought from Saltywater just weren't there when I walked out of the water...so there's that.

Did all right so far this year, all off the rocks, not as good as last year though...yet. 

Sure do miss that Boga.

Broke a new style Mojo 7'6" M inshore within a week of getting it.  St Croix sent me a new one.  Got it Monday.  My dad broke it on first cast, first fish.  Neither were high sticked.  These rods hate me I guess.

20201020_080707 (1).jpg

20201021_081508.jpg

One of my old Shimano Safari FE 2500 reels bit the dust.  Now serving as a parts reel for the one still remaining in good working order.  OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Sailah said:

Broke a new style Mojo 7'6" M inshore within a week of getting it.  St Croix sent me a new one.  Got it Monday.  My dad broke it on first cast, first fish.  Neither were high sticked.  These rods hate me I guess.

20201020_080707 (1).jpg

20201021_081508.jpg

Wow that’s not good.  Was thinking about picking one up...looks like a very nice stick.  

So you broke two of them...definitely  not good.  I wonder if they have a bad batch or defect?

Edited by Terphunter

1 hour ago, Sailah said:

20201020_080707 (1).jpg

20201021_081508.jpg

I got email from St Croix yesterday about 20% off sale of the previous style of mojo inshore and tide master rods. I haven’t had any issue with those mojos. 

18 mins ago, z-man said:

I got email from St Croix yesterday about 20% off sale of the previous style of mojo inshore and tide master rods. I haven’t had any issue with those mojos. 

I have both,  old and new.   Old is SCII graphite and i like it better for albies.   Bit softer tip.  New is SCIII which is same as my Avid.

I also dont like the grips as much as older style.  I want to like it the new Mojo but man am i having bad luck.

Both rods broke on small fish. I watched my dad because it was our first trip in months and it was first cast, first hookup and i was driving.  Nothing special just snapped.

Not sure what the issue is but i really dont think its me.  I have 2 older Mojos and an Avid that have caught 100s of fish this summer including some beast albies with no issues.  Will probably upgrade to a 7'6" Avid but i really wish i could get in moderate fast action.

40 mins ago, Terphunter said:

Wow that’s not good.  Was thinking about picking one up...looks like a very nice stick.  

So you broke two of them...definitely  not good.  I wonder if they have a bad batch or defect?

Yeah broke 2 of them, doing same thing both times.  Small fish right near boat just like i do all summer.  Snap.

1 lasted a week and was on its second trip.  The replacement for that rod got here monday.  Snapped first thing tuesday morning.

Called St Croix yesterday will see how they want to handle it.  I paid the $50 warranty last time but I'm not paying it again.  Bought 4 new St Croix this summer and have a dozen total.  Never had a rod break until this Mojo.

2 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Snapped the top on a 10'6 Mojo MMF throwing a diamond jig for distance. $25 and I had a new top in a few days.

Broke a SS Little Neck Popper 1st day out. 

My Surf Belt broke on me wading in the Raritan Bay...60# Boga and an $85 pair of pliers I bought from Saltywater just weren't there when I walked out of the water...so there's that.

Did all right so far this year, all off the rocks, not as good as last year though...yet. 

Sure do miss that Boga.

Same! I snapped the top half of a 10'-6" mojo while casting a magic swimmer at the canal,got it replaced for 25$ and havent touched it since. I'll be selling it next season, I've heard too many stories of them exploding mid cast. Other things I've broken are a set of pliers, a couple cotton cordell pencils when my bail closed and I smashed them into rocks, my waders are leaking and the eyelets on my frogg togg boots have mostly snapped off.