Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Bootfoot or stocking foot? Breathables I'd assume? Frog Togs makes a few nice pairs for less than $200.

Make sure you get a good belt too. Don't rely on that stretchy elastic crap with a cheep plastic buckle that comes with most waders.

The first pair of Frogg Togg Steelheaders ($140) I bought leaked in three spots after 5 or 6 trips. Got them replaced and this pair will leak when water splashes the front pockets. 

The cheap boot foot Frogg Toggs ($70ish?)  they sell at Dicks run small but the haven’t leaked either. 

L.L.Bean Emerger Boot-Foot Waders are on sale for $269. If you are willing to spend $200, go a little higher if you can and get something that will last (unless you are a kid and still growing). Mine are on their 4th season and the only leaks I’ve had are from hooks. My stocking foots are Beans too and on their 3rd season. 

5 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Loaded redfins are a very deadly lure !

i remove hangers and thru wire them load them with bb,s to 11/2oz then inject them with foam to keep the water out !

I do the exact same thing

4 hours ago, MikeK said:

Wouldnt injecting with foam negate the weight transfer of the bbs which adds casting distance and the rattle which attracts fish?  Seems like the foam is negating all the positives of using the bbs besides the added weight.

Yes it negates the Action and sound of the bb's moving inside the plug, but if you load them so they are heavier in the rear they cast great. I load mine so they sit floating at about a 45° angle. My loaded redfins cast better than an sp17.

I second Frog Togg Hellbender. Just got a pair and couldn’t be more pleased. They run large though. I wear an 11 sneaker and 10 boot, but had to go down to a size 9. (I’m 5’10, 165)

The bean emerger were a good deal. Never got more than a year out of a pair fishing 130 trips+. Last pair just started to leak less than 10 months. Bean no longer carries the emerger stocking foot. Went with Kennebecs for more $.