yogiiiboy

Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier or Berkley X9

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Which one would you use for open beach applications with respect to max distance and windknot prevention?

 

Anyone experiment with these two??

 

 

 

(Scooby....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These two lines couldn't be more opposite.

Ultra 8 is hard and wirey

X9 soft and supple...very limp....possibly too limp for some folks.

 

Standard braid knots will not work with ultra 8.  Uni, Alberto etc...they hold..but no where near what you'd expect if coming from any other braid out there.

 

Both are great...Don't use 14lb ultra 8 and under on baitcasters as an over run will separate instantly.

 

 

I wouldn't consider x9 anything super special.....but it is a very good braid.

I like PP ss V2 over it.  But it's close.

 

The x9 6lb is super thin...and acutal thin 6lb braid...unlike 832 in comparision.

 

I'll take x9 over J braid grand all day every day...It feels smoother and more uniform when compared to standard j braid.

 

x5...now thats great stuff...I gotta try it on a spinner....It's power pro like in texture..but those buzzy lines shoot off the spool after lotsa use where some slick lines tend to stick like dragging a wet piece of spaghetti across a plate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

These two lines couldn't be more opposite.

Ultra 8 is hard and wirey

X9 soft and supple...very limp....possibly too limp for some folks.

 

Standard braid knots will not work with ultra 8.  Uni, Alberto etc...they hold..but no where near what you'd expect if coming from any other braid out there.

 

Both are great...Don't use 14lb ultra 8 and under on baitcasters as an over run will separate instantly.

 

 

I wouldn't consider x9 anything super special.....but it is a very good braid.

I like PP ss V2 over it.  But it's close.

 

The x9 6lb is super thin...and acutal thin 6lb braid...unlike 832 in comparision.

 

I'll take x9 over J braid grand all day every day...It feels smoother and more uniform when compared to standard j braid.

 

x5...now thats great stuff...I gotta try it on a spinner....It's power pro like in texture..but those buzzy lines shoot off the spool after lotsa use where some slick lines tend to stick like dragging a wet piece of spaghetti across a plate.

 

Here's the deal Scoob....................I've been a Fireline Crystal guy all day long.  Spooled the 10 lb. ultra 8 Crystal after one of your early reviews when it came out on my fluke setup (Clash 2500).  Always lovd the way Fireline has treated me in the surf, especially windknot absence.  So i want to spool up a Shimano C5000XG reel with 14 lb Ultra 8 that i'll use on an 8' Avid Inshore.  

 

Aye or Nay............What say you??

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the Ultra 8 softens a bit- it is the longest casting braid that I have used.  

Just posted a wind knot anomaly-a few days ago- on one spool I got a fuzzy/fluffy spot 30 yrds in that intermittently created "wind knots". 

All my other spools (on spinners) cast great-no problems and it's Fire line strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love Ultra 8, until it comes time to tie a knot in it.  I've never been able to get it hold hold with anything but a PR knot.  That's annoying as hell to tie in the moment when you get broken off.  Besides that it's my favorite line.  Smooth, casts great, doesn't wear fast, no knots.

I've used it in 10 and 14 and had the same experience with both.  Been using the 14 this year on a Cabo 50 to catch blackfish on the boat and couldn't be happier.

Edited by Kima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Here's the deal Scoob....................I've been a Fireline Crystal guy all day long.  Spooled the 10 lb. ultra 8 Crystal after one of your early reviews when it came out on my fluke setup (Clash 2500).  Always lovd the way Fireline has treated me in the surf, especially windknot absence.  So i want to spool up a Shimano C5000XG reel with 14 lb Ultra 8 that i'll use on an 8' Avid Inshore.  

 

Aye or Nay............What say you??

 

 

If you like it.....don't fix what's not broke....I sorta want to pick up a spool of 20 or 30 for fw jig fishing..on a baitcaster which didn't go over well with 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kima said:

I love Ultra 8, until it comes time to tie a knot in it.  I've never been able to get it hold hold with anything but a PR knot.  That's annoying as hell to tie in the moment when you get broken off.  Besides that it's my favorite line.  Smooth, casts great, doesn't wear fast, no knots.

I've used it in 10 and 14 and had the same experience with both.  Been using the 14 this year on a Cabo 50 to catch blackfish on the boat and couldn't be happier.

I use an FG knot with a Rizzoto finish-never had one fail. I had a few snags where it was really tested.  IF I break off  I use a trilene knot to a tiny spro swivel pre tied leader. No failures there either. I use 10 & 14 also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

Once the Ultra 8 softens a bit- it is the longest casting braid that I have used.  

Just posted a wind knot anomaly-a few days ago- on one spool I got a fuzzy/fluffy spot 30 yrds in that intermittently created "wind knots". 

All my other spools (on spinners) cast great-no problems and it's Fire line strong. 

Ahhh...... I was waiting for this answer as my experience has been the same with the Ultra 8....... once that stiffness loosens up a bit, it is noticeably dynamic   :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kima said:

I love Ultra 8, until it comes time to tie a knot in it.  I've never been able to get it hold hold with anything but a PR knot.  That's annoying as hell to tie in the moment when you get broken off.  Besides that it's my favorite line.  Smooth, casts great, doesn't wear fast, no knots.

I've used it in 10 and 14 and had the same experience with both.  Been using the 14 this year on a Cabo 50 to catch blackfish on the boat and couldn't be happier.

Double Palomar knot !!

Double is the key......   :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Double Palomar knot !!

Double is the key......   :th:

I had to get that down pat using sufix nano, and 6lb x9 and grand.

I'm not a palomar guy...so had to practice ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I had to get that down pat using sufix nano, and 6lb x9 and grand.

I'm not a palomar guy...so had to practice ;) 

ScooB......of all people, you know what a palomar is!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, yogiiiboy said:

ScooB......of all people, you know what a palomar is!!

I was always a double uni guy when it came to braid.

I haven't used stretchy stuff in a main line outside trolling gear.

 

So I never wanted a stronger knot than my line to line join...

So I mostly went alberto to single uni.

And had a 5050 shot at popping off the whole leader in lighter lb tests.  Where as a palomar would be 100%.

 

I know how to tie a palmoar....but when tying it in .003 braid....and tying a double.....holy **** is that maddening.......bass thumb becomes a cheese grater with ultra light braid....and can take minutes to tie a single knot to a fastach clip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I was always a double uni guy when it came to braid.

I haven't used stretchy stuff in a main line outside trolling gear.

 

So I never wanted a stronger knot than my line to line join...

So I mostly went alberto to single uni.

And had a 5050 shot at popping off the whole leader in lighter lb tests.  Where as a palomar would be 100%.

 

I know how to tie a palmoar....but when tying it in .003 braid....and tying a double.....holy **** is that maddening.......bass thumb becomes a cheese grater with ultra light braid....and can take minutes to tie a single knot to a fastach clip.

Gotcha....................i was solely referencing tying to a snap and/or swivel.............:th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.