VSX150 drag???

Rate this topic

Cast Away

I had my dragged cranked down to max and on hookset the drag was slipping. Smaller fish in the 30”-34” that I got into last night were able to pull drag in no current. I can’t set the drag any tighter. Is it my reel? Is it a VSX150 thing? Will the power knob fix this? 

10 mins ago, ASrod said:

It’s the drag knob. The thread length was never adjusted for the longer shaft on the X series so the new knob fixes it.

Thank you. So I’m guessing if we compare the height of the original knob vs the newer one the newer would be taller? Any issues with line catching on the knob?

9 mins ago, Cast Away said:

Thank you. So I’m guessing if we compare the height of the original knob vs the newer one the newer would be taller? Any issues with line catching on the knob?

It’s slightly taller but there’s no problem at all with line getting caught and I’ve been using the new knobs since they came out.

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

5 mins ago, husonfirst said:

People have been fishing with an underpowered drag in the VSX all this time?  I'm surprised it took this long for VS to address.

All the VSX will be coming stock with the new knob from what I understand. Not sure why we have to pay for a recalled product though.

i just picked up a new vsx and noticed this same thing, but not while fishing just spooled it up and was messing with it in the garage.  i need to go and buy a new drag knob to fix this issue?  thats pretty bad, like i might just return it and go back to fishing my old penn slammers on principle.  

2 mins ago, gobigblue said:

i just picked up a new vsx and noticed this same thing, but not while fishing just spooled it up and was messing with it in the garage.  i need to go and buy a new drag knob to fix this issue?  thats pretty bad, like i might just return it and go back to fishing my old penn slammers on principle.  

I just grabbed one today from the auction site. $30

3 hours ago, Cast Away said:

I had my dragged cranked down to max and on hookset the drag was slipping. Smaller fish in the 30”-34” that I got into last night were able to pull drag in no current. I can’t set the drag any tighter. Is it my reel? Is it a VSX150 thing? Will the power knob fix this? 

This is alarming 

3 hours ago, ASrod said:

It’s the drag knob. The thread length was never adjusted for the longer shaft on the X series so the new knob fixes it.

Is this documented as true? 

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

All the VSX will be coming stock with the new knob from what I understand. Not sure why we have to pay for a recalled product though.

Agree with this

troll #122  <*)))<

8 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

This is alarming 

Is this documented as true? 

Agree with this

This is what was mentioned by some so called experts in an fb group. Don’t take my word for it, but the new knob puts a retarded amount of drag pressure out.

5 mins ago, ASrod said:

This is what was mentioned by some so called experts in an fb group. Don’t take my word for it, but the new knob puts a retarded amount of drag pressure out.

I have it, i will test it this weekend, 

Whats your on the water review before and after new knob?

troll #122  <*)))<

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have it, i will test it this weekend, 

Whats your on the water review before and after new knob?

I had a 33(ish) inch bass that pulled drag without an issue a few months ago. I had about a 20lb cownose that hardly pulled anything with the new knob and a moderately tight drag with the new knob. So it’s a massive improvement and much easier to turn the knob itself since it’s a little bit larger.