cow tamer

A Little Too Close for Comfort

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I think they have always been around... Just passing threw.  When we have the large seal colonies the cape does.. then we will see them stay

Something very big bumped me in my kayak one night way out in mackerel

cove. Scared me enough that i landed the kayak and dragged it back on the south side of the cove.  Anyone who has been out there knows that ain’t easy. 

21 hours ago, BadMojo said:

I think they have always been around... Just passing threw.  When we have the large seal colonies the cape does.. then we will see them stay

I bet there were tons more, historically speaking, before the seal population was decimated. 

I remember many years ago, so long ago Taylor's house wasn't there, I was on the sea wall watching a bunch of surfers surf with a huge fin swimming slowly along behind them. I asked one of the surfers why nobody got out of the water because of the shark.

He said they see them all the time. Said they never hurt anybody. 

That was long before the current situation on the Cape. I wonder if the surfers still ignore the fins?

As a kid, maybe 1972 or so, my dad and my sister and I were off Pt. Judith jigging mackerel for baits when all of a sudden, my dad has us reel in all our rigs and he guns over to this 12-14' Great White feeding on the macks. Mind you, we were in an 18' open boat and this thing was huge! The biggest rod he had on the boat was a 9/0 Senator...but he wanted to try and hook this thing! My sister and I were scared to say the least! This was maybe halfway to the Hooter buoy. 

I captured this shark after a seal on Stellwagen last year... if you can zoom in, you see the seal jump over the sharks back... this was the second attack, the first one was unreal, 100 ft away, mouth open, shark was 70% out of the water horizontally.. tail slashing the surface... crazy **** out there!

FullSizeRender.mov

1 hour ago, Milky said:

I remember many years ago, so long ago Taylor's house wasn't there, I was on the sea wall watching a bunch of surfers surf with a huge fin swimming slowly along behind them. I asked one of the surfers why nobody got out of the water because of the shark.

He said they see them all the time. Said they never hurt anybody. 

That was long before the current situation on the Cape. I wonder if the surfers still ignore the fins?

Uhhhh, pre 1930?? Either way, sounds like typical hardo surfers.  Made me laugh 

2 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Uhhhh, pre 1930?? Either way, sounds like typical hardo surfers.  Made me laugh 

Is that house that old? I'm an idiot. I honestly never looked close at the house itself.

All I know is when she came along a bunch of stuff got changed. 

In my head Ive always thought of that area in terms of pre-Taylor and post Taylor.

But more importantly it's really divided by before the hotel closed their lot to fishermen and after it closed. I haven't been there more than once or twice in 10 years.

Seals, want to see a colony? Come to Block’s sandy point. 40 to 50 on beach right now. Look at Block Island North light live web cam. 600 pounder dead as a door nail laying on the beach chumming up the Surf right now. Many sightings this year. I was told by a biologist that there is a colony of thousands on Plum Island. I personally can’t wait to see Whitey chew the crap out of these island ruining buggers. I haven’t been in my kayak in 2 years. Damn grey seals follow you around like a dog. The Westside looks like a gym floor at basketball practice. Shiny fat heads every 100 yards down the beach. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:09 PM, BadMojo said:

I think they have always been around... Just passing threw.  

That's how I feel about the occaisional wolf or lion sighting. There's not a breeding population, but we get visitors every once in a while.

Had a group of surfers alongside the jetty yesterday that came out before first light. Not sure surfing in the dark is a shark-safe activity. 

Sure was irritating the way they closed off the whitewater pocket to the fishermen. Seems like surfing in the dark alongside a jetty full of surf casters would be a way to get a tear in their wetsuits. Maybe even spill a little blood to attract sharks.

And yet the Mystic Aquarium stills want to release baby seals (bait) on East Beach in Charlestown 

Dumb

Release the bait in CT or send the seals back to ME where they come from 

back in the 60,s  when Brenton Point power plant had the huge discharge  hot water ….that raised Mt Hope water temp & especially Lees river …………….. we saw sharks all the time …..&  a few times a year  the fall river herald  would have articles about guys catching big sharks on R&R ..

we were fishing the discharge  with a tringer of blues over the side .we saw the fin coming  up the discharge  .lifted the stringer & he just by  & wasn,t small .

My friemd was plugging schoolies in the river when went for the schoolie  but hit & cracked the wooden boat

I guess we were young & stupid  ,because we saw them so much we didn,t really think about it …………. there were some really  tropical fish there because of the discharge ……….we didn,t swim in the summer because it was like piss

we would go to spar island to swim .it was much larger then & the guy from RI has a good business going with this hot dog stand …….until it got wiped out in a storm ><> toobad wo didn,t carry camers then /we probably didn,t even have any ..