Let Em Run

Braid

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I heard some good things about Diawa Saltiga UVF 8 braid . Only place I can find it is on ebay via Japan. Couple guys on west coast use it . Any one here tried it?

Daiwa J braid grand was supposed to be stronger more abrasion resistant and have more horese power than it's predecessor....but...ahhhhh...nope.

Used the J braid 8. It seemed to dry out and lose slickness after about 5 outs. The guy that told me about Saltiga said it's good for whole season , and this guy fishes hard. Loaded reel last night. Very slippery and 35 lb is #2 size. I will be posting overtime.

I got some 30lb J-Braid Grand recently, and when I tested the breaking strength it was breaking well under 20lb and never at the knot like you would expect.  I believe there are shipments of counterfeit braid being sold all over USA right now, exacerbated by the limited supply of legit product during Covid.  

Try buying direct from a manufacturer, or from a trusted source.  Stay away from the big online vendors IMO.  They are getting bad product.  

On 23/10/2020 at 2:46 AM, scoobydoo said:

Daiwa J braid grand was supposed to be stronger more abrasion resistant and have more horese power than it's predecessor....but...ahhhhh...nope.

comparing grand and jbraid X8 ? which u think is better?

15 mins ago, Tourstage said:

comparing grand and jbraid X8 ? which u think is better?

I prefer standard.. I took grand off every reel... 6lb 8lb 20lb 40lb...

The stuff feels great fresh off the spool... But that's pretty much where the positives end with me. 

The first outing I was fishing 8lb next to a bridge piling... Twitch twitch twitch... Wuh? Buy buy 20$ lucky craft... Thought it could have been  a Nick from the rubble... Then abrasion issues on multiple spools on multiple rods and reels... Premature failures... 

Friends had identical issues as well.. 

8 hours ago, koalaslim said:

I got some 30lb J-Braid Grand recently, and when I tested the breaking strength it was breaking well under 20lb and never at the knot like you would expect.  I believe there are shipments of counterfeit braid being sold all over USA right now, exacerbated by the limited supply of legit product during Covid.  

Try buying direct from a manufacturer, or from a trusted source.  Stay away from the big online vendors IMO.  They are getting bad product.  

You need quite a bit more evidence than a break test (without stating method) to claim counterfeit products. 

4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

The stuff feels great fresh off the spool... But that's pretty much where the positives end with me. 

The first outing I was fishing 8lb next to a bridge piling... Twitch twitch twitch... Wuh? Buy buy 20$ lucky craft... Thought it could have been  a Nick from the rubble... Then abrasion issues on multiple spools on multiple rods and reels... Premature failures... 

NoOOoOoo, i got 2 spool which i bought mths ago.. gonna change them, cant afford to lose lure. guess i will skip jbraid altogether.

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Was also disappointed in the jbraid grand. 
Broke when I did not expect it to. Was using the 20lb. Multiple times. 
Sucks, thought the x4 and x8 were decent lines, then they put something out that is supposedly better and it’s crap. Where are people’s heads at these days??

Edited by Surfratiam

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Saltiga is a whole different class. This isn't the J Braid.. I had 30 lb maxima ultra green leaders and 20 lb Saltiga braid. Mono still broke every time. I use Palomar knot . Knot never fails . Just line breaks. Palomar knot is proven to be the strongest knot to metal eyes.

Edited by Let Em Run