Good2Go

Do stripers learn?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Was out today in E CT waters, on a charter. Captain was hooking pogeys he caught this morning, thru the nose with a treble, and my 2 buds were on the bait rods while I was tossing a jig with rubber. We drifted over a shoal and Cap was like, there's fish everywhere! My buds reeled up their pogeys, and the stripers were following them to the surface, but would not commit. Except to my jig. Pulled in a nice 30 incher, only one we kept today. My question is, have these fish learned that a treble is bad news? Or that pogeys outside a bait school are suspicious? These baits were not huge, maybe 8-10 inches long. No reason these stripers should not have eaten them, unless they've had a bad experience before. Also have to wonder, how many times are stripers caught and released, thereby learning about fishermen? 

2 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I highly doubt it. They are simple unintelligent animals. 

Just like fishermen, I guess. 

4 hours ago, Blank Disc said:

Were the bunker down as deep as the jig?

No, they came up from 15 feet, along with the bait, I was using a long plastic 4-5 in, no flap tail, sorta like a Hogey, with lead head. I got the bite, they did not.  

12 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Isn’t bait with Treble hooks Illegal now??

Not until the 2021 season coastwide, although already illegal in Maryland and maybe elsewhere.  Illegal for private boats in Massachusetts, but not for charters or party boats.

47 mins ago, CWitek said:

Not until the 2021 season coastwide, although already illegal in Maryland and maybe elsewhere.  Illegal for private boats in Massachusetts, but not for charters or party boats.

Wow that seems counter productive to allow them to continue to snag and drop with trebles

36 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Wow that seems counter productive to allow them to continue to snag and drop with trebles

We’ll see this afternoon whether the ASMFC will allow Massachusetts to keep the charter/party boat exception after this year.

if I had to guess, I’d say no, but this is the ASMFC we’re talking about, and they do some surprisingly unwise things on a regular basis.