NHAngler

Hunting vs Fishing?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was sitting in my treestand last night for what was my 3rd sit of the season. 1st 2 trips I was annoyed with non-hunters. Squirrels drove me nuts this time but was peaceful too. It can be very relaxing. 

However, given the great weather lately, all I could think about was fishing. I am really coming to the conclusion that I like hunting but love fishing. It may also be the pace of deer hunting. It is like tuna fishing. Lots of searching and waiting but every now and then something happens that is a giant rush. 

Which do you love vs like and why? Or possibly you are truly seasonal? 

Edited by NHAngler

I’ve never hunted a day in my life. I think I’d love it if I got into it but then I think if I started hunting it would get in the way of fishing lol. I love fishing in the fall too much to be deer hunting. 

Used to waterfowl, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  The 870 has been relegated to shooting porcupines...

Since my wife doesn't enjoy eating wild game, even when I shot some Canadas over corn, I've quit hunting, although I definitely get the bug when the turkeys strut across the backyard.  Just not about to shoot things that only I will be eating...

For me

Growing up deer hunting with my dad.  Who would only hunt way north and cherished tracking/snow cover in the Adirondacks I’ve always been a later season hunter 

I love the late muzzleloading season in Maine.  No one in the woods, cold as shi$&t and challenging 

hunting in sept/Oct with bow in my area just doesn’t feel right to me

leaves on trees, ticks and warm weather 

I just can’t do it.  Doesn’t feel right 

I know the bow hunters in my area grab nearly all the good deer in the expanded, then early bow season.   Good on em.  Just not my bag

I fish till they are gone and then some 

travel south and fish more 

then focus on deer sausage and take what I can and safely hang in my yard when it truly feels like hunting season (most of the time)

Jim 

I’ve been in a similar quandary lately. Fishing really slowed down for me around late September so I decided to focus on deer hunting. I got into it about 5 years ago and I’ve only taken one buck but I do enjoy it. Fishing for stripers or freshwater bass definitely provides more instant gratification than hunting, but that is also partly what makes hunting special.

Seeing how people are still having luck catching has me questioning my decision somewhat, but I think I’ll stick to the plan. I’ve been seeing deer every other sit or so, which is much better than I usually do.

Wish I could fit in both, but with the days getting so much shorter, and having a family, I really only get to pick one half weekend day a week at most to get out whether it’s fishing or hunting. I already miss the long summer days and getting to fish nearly every one of them. 

Had another bad hunt on Saturday evening. I think it started off bad but then it got worst and to the point where I just went home and finished winterizing my boat.

Woods seem busier than usual this year. However, it was also youth weekend and honestly love seeking dads out there with their kids. I remember when I took my son. Now at 17, he does not like hunting (or fishing) though so that was short lived but appreciate the few times we were able to go. 

What did irk me was a woman that rides her horse through the woods with the radio cranked. Not sure if intentional, but she dresses funny and kind of like a fat clown. 3rd time I have seen her ride right by me. 

On 10/26/2020 at 0:07 PM, NHAngler said:

Had another bad hunt on Saturday evening. I think it started off bad but then it got worst and to the point where I just went home and finished winterizing my boat.

Woods seem busier than usual this year. However, it was also youth weekend and honestly love seeking dads out there with their kids. I remember when I took my son. Now at 17, he does not like hunting (or fishing) though so that was short lived but appreciate the few times we were able to go. 

What did irk me was a woman that rides her horse through the woods with the radio cranked. Not sure if intentional, but she dresses funny and kind of like a fat clown. 3rd time I have seen her ride right by me. 

One of the places I hunt near home, what gets me are the people that just have to go out for a walk right at last light. I know I have no actual grounds to be mad at them, and I know I could just go somewhere else deeper in the woods, but still. I could go 2 hours without seeing or hearing a soul and then with like 20 minutes till shooting light ends it seems like there is a 50/50 shot someone comes strolling in. Why? :banghd:

11 mins ago, drmevo said:

I could go 2 hours without seeing or hearing a soul and then with like 20 minutes till shooting light ends it seems like there is a 50/50 shot someone comes strolling in. Why? :banghd:

Seems simple enough, folks getting home from work trying to get a walk in before dinner.  You may be in a better position after the time change...

Hunting or fishing?  I love them both and the short answer is: whatever I am doing at the time. I think that the anticipation is half of the fun and it’s great having a new season to look forward to.  I honestly starting getting complacent after catching so many 22-26" stripers this summer.   I put my boat away just after Labor Day and turned my attention to the NH bow season.  I put a nice doe in the freezer very early and am holding out for a decent buck for my second tag. My real hunting passion is birds and we are having a decent year.  Both of my sons come home to bird hunt which also makes it special.  I camped out for 4 days in the Jackman area to help a friend scout and hunt moose — a great adventure.  I have an any deer and a bonus deer tag in Maine so I am heading to our cottage in Maine to deer hunt on Sunday.  Something to look forward to and hopefully to put more venison in the freezer.  This will be urban hunting to me so we’ll see how it goes.

I love living in a place with distinct and actual seasons.  After hunting season, my attention will turn to my 250 tap maple sugaring operation.  Plus, I am already thinking about new places to fish and new techniques to try next season.  No time for boredom.  Like I said, anticipation is half of the fun.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, drmevo said:

One of the places I hunt near home, what gets me are the people that just have to go out for a walk right at last light. I know I have no actual grounds to be mad at them, and I know I could just go somewhere else deeper in the woods, but still. I could go 2 hours without seeing or hearing a soul and then with like 20 minutes till shooting light ends it seems like there is a 50/50 shot someone comes strolling in. Why? :banghd:

.. could be anti's but is a touchy subject and no cops or wardens will ever challenge this. I do hunt in a suburb'ish area and traditionally as hunting seasons nears, most avoid areas where hunters are going to be. Hence, something seems fishy for horse lady to keep strolling by dressed like a circus clown and playing music through the woods (note: this is not a trail and you have to go out of your way to get here). Here is the catch... it's my property. If I ever do post it, it will be to exclude all activities and require written permission. 

9 mins ago, NHAngler said:

.. could be anti's but is a touchy subject and no cops or wardens will ever challenge this. I do hunt in a suburb'ish area and traditionally as hunting seasons nears, most avoid areas where hunters are going to be. Hence, something seems fishy for horse lady to keep strolling by dressed like a circus clown and playing music through the woods (note: this is not a trail and you have to go out of your way to get here). Here is the catch... it's my property. If I ever do post it, it will be to exclude all activities and require written permission. 

I'd post it in a heartbeat.  I would probably post it and allow certain uses with written permission only.  You shouldn't have to tip-toe around your own land and apologize for being a hunter.  As a landowner, I a fully aware that some people are simply disrespectful and/or don't care. One day, I was hunting on one end of my family's 180 acre piece of land.  A hunter came through and almost tripped over me.  I told him that we welcomed hunters, but simply ask if you let us know when you're on our land.   The very next night, the same guy was sneaking through the woods on the other end of our property where I was hunting - again.  He never bothered to try to contact us.  I told him he's not welcome any longer and reported him to the local warden.

I would also familiarize yourself with the hunter harassment laws and if that clown shows up again, I'd prosecute.  I have been a victim of hunter harassment twice and I reported it both times.  Both times the people were completely uninformed, loud, and extremely rude.  I remain calm, pleasant and respectful.  And both times the wardens had visits with the individuals to educate them and the threat of prosecution seemed to make them more considerate.  When I am hunting now, I typically set up my jacket so that my phone can be placed in a breast pocket to video any encounters I have with anti's.  If it happens again, then I am definitely going to consider prosecuting.   I will not apologize to anyone for being a lawful, licensed hunter.