Stopsign32v

Night fishing...You guys are for real?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, fishinthedark said:

Night time is the right time

+1

 

Planning to fish tonight from 8 PM to 2 AM.  Night tide is perfect. 
 

Black, plurple, chartuese, parrot and even white all work in the dark.  

Edited by GeoffT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Reed422 said:

I hate fishing at night, there I said it.

Very bold! Certainly I used to like it a lot more when I was on a mission to catch good fish. The simplicity of a bag eels and some hooks and leader was nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Awesome reel in your avatard....

Trying to get the proper snap ring arms to pop the sideplate bearing retainers. :)

Is that an Abu Suveran?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

So again, I'm new to fishing so forgive my disbelief. I've always called it quits basically when it gets too dark to safely throw a baseball. But you guys are talking about straight up night time fishing? Not only that but I've read that the Bomber "chicken scratch" is a great nighttime lure. Now I don't want to get into the color thing or anything but I just have one question...

 

How the hell does the fish see at all?

 

Not only that but how the hell do you guys see what you're doing? Also what time are you guys going "night time" fishing? Are we talking dusk or straight up 11pm fishing? 

 

Fish have a much better night vision then we will ever have, not to mention their sense of hearing, and vibrational senses. Some fish also have excellent senses of smell and electrosensory perception.

 

Predators love to feed in low light conditions as they have a major advantage when it comes to capturing prey.

 

All my personal best fw fish have come in the dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Fishing at night with a headlamp can be very effective.

Hey kid, I was the one who approved your first picture post, so don't make a fool out of me and listen closely...

 

Don't ever  fish the beach/canal at night with a headlamp. Ever. Take your headlamp and remove that top strap, then hang it around your neck upside down. 

Also, do not even bother doing this unless the lamp has a red light setting. 

Never, ever shine your white light on the water, or in any other direction, when on the beach. If you need light, the red setting is enough to tie knots, unhook fish, etc. 

 

After you get to wherever you are going to fish, you should take at least ten minutes to let your eyes adjust. You'll be amazed at what you can see. Then if you turn on a light, you will lose that "night" vision for ten to twenty minutes or more. Even on a moonless night, there is plenty enough ambient light to see what you need to do. The red light will let you see what you need but not wipe out your night vision. And more importantly, not scare any fish nor piss off other fishermen who are observing "dark-out" conditions.

Yes, baitfish will go to a light as it's the food chain. But the predators like stripers that we seek, survive by being not seen by us or the prey they seek. They are ambush specialists. 

 

Neck lights only, and red setting on the beach. Hang the light around your neck and adjust it so it only points straight down at you feet. If you cant unhook a fish or re-tie a rig with a red light like that, stay home and ruin someone else's good bite.

 

Edited by Ben Lippen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

So again, I'm new to fishing so forgive my disbelief. I've always called it quits basically when it gets too dark to safely throw a baseball. But you guys are talking about straight up night time fishing? Not only that but I've read that the Bomber "chicken scratch" is a great nighttime lure. Now I don't want to get into the color thing or anything but I just have one question...

 

How the hell does the fish see at all?

 

Not only that but how the hell do you guys see what you're doing? Also what time are you guys going "night time" fishing? Are we talking dusk or straight up 11pm fishing? 

Man this is great. Everything is better at night especially the fishing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Hey kid, I was the one who approved your first picture post, so don't make a fool out of me and listen closely...

 

Don't ever  fish the beach/canal at night with a headlamp. Ever. Take your headlamp and remove that top strap, then hang it around your neck upside down. 

Also, do not even bother doing this unless the lamp has a red light setting. 

Never, ever shine your white light on the water, or in any other direction, when on the beach. If you need light, the red setting is enough to tie knots, unhook fish, etc. 

 

After you get to wherever you are going to fish, you should take at least ten minutes to let your eyes adjust. You'll be amazed at what you can see. Then if you turn on a light, you will lose that "night" vision for ten to twenty minutes or more. Even on a moonless night, there is plenty enough ambient light to see what you need to do. The red light will let you see what you need but not wipe out your night vision. And more importantly, not scare any fish nor piss off other fishermen who are observing "dark-out" conditions.

Yes, baitfish will go to a light as it's the food chain. But the predators like stripers that we seek, survive by being not seen by us or the prey they seek. They are ambush specialists. 

 

Neck lights only, and red setting on the beach. Hang the light around your neck and adjust it so it only points straight down at you feet. If you cant unhook a fish or re-tie a rig with a red light like that, stay home and ruin someone else's good bite.

 

I meant only using the light for when you need it. Looking at your tackle tying a knot, etc. Jeez :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Hey kid, I was the one who approved your first picture post, so don't make a fool out of me and listen closely...

 

Don't ever  fish the beach/canal at night with a headlamp. Ever. Take your headlamp and remove that top strap, then hang it around your neck upside down. 

Also, do not even bother doing this unless the lamp has a red light setting. 

Never, ever shine your white light on the water, or in any other direction, when on the beach. If you need light, the red setting is enough to tie knots, unhook fish, etc. 

 

After you get to wherever you are going to fish, you should take at least ten minutes to let your eyes adjust. You'll be amazed at what you can see. Then if you turn on a light, you will lose that "night" vision for ten to twenty minutes or more. Even on a moonless night, there is plenty enough ambient light to see what you need to do. The red light will let you see what you need but not wipe out your night vision. And more importantly, not scare any fish nor piss off other fishermen who are observing "dark-out" conditions.

Yes, baitfish will go to a light as it's the food chain. But the predators like stripers that we seek, survive by being not seen by us or the prey they seek. They are ambush specialists. 

 

Neck lights only, and red setting on the beach. Hang the light around your neck and adjust it so it only points straight down at you feet. If you cant unhook a fish or re-tie a rig with a red light like that, stay home and ruin someone else's good bite.

 

What about using a light to unhook a fish but when unhooking it shine the light in the opposite direction of the water? Just thinking out loud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Fish have a much better night vision then we will ever have

Eyeballs process "light" and into the brain through a series of rods, and cones. 

Rods work on low light levels.

Cones are able to give us color vision and also spatial acuity. 

Numerous studies now are well proven that Largemouth Bass, for example, have more cones in their eyeballs than an average human. Thus one would surmise that they can see more colors, right.

But if one "looks at" the world through an LMB's eyes, from the bottom of a stained or muddy pond or creek.... his eyes might work great. I doubt mine would. 

 

Without getting further into the weeds on this,..

 

It's really about ; In this order or not...

 

Size

Shape

Action

Place in the water column ( surface on down ) 

Color

Time

Tide

And what you do to present your bait/lure.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

I meant only using the light for when you need it. Looking at your tackle tying a knot, etc. Jeez :(

 

23 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

What about using a light to unhook a fish but when unhooking it shine the light in the opposite direction of the water? Just thinking out loud. 

Use the red light or no light. Takes twenty minutes to get you eyes adjusted to no light. Shine the light and waste another half hour, be my guest. Just don't even think about doing it near me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I use is a small necklight with a red lens. I carry a small hat bill light in white but, it's never used unless its an emergency.

Nothing burns my toast more that some idiot with a powerful white lite in my field of view.

The guys that I grew up around would threaten bodily harm at the very least!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granted that fishing by boat is different than from land, but we fish well into the night many occasions, and once we everything settled in, all the electronics go off except for the white light (which we can't see) and the VHF).  You'd be surprised how well you can see in the dark with even the slightest bit of moonlight, or normal ambient light.

 

The land and water are a different shade of black/gray.

 

It's hard to see the rod tip twitch, but tiny glow sticks resolve that issue.

 

If we do wind up using a light, or looking at the GPS/radar/Sounder, it takes a while to readjust and get your night vision back again.  10-15 minutes easy.

 

As long as you've got enough breeze to keep the bugs away, night time isn't just the right time, it's the best time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.