Stopsign32v

Night fishing...You guys are for real?

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

So again, I'm new to fishing so forgive my disbelief. I've always called it quits basically when it gets too dark to safely throw a baseball. But you guys are talking about straight up night time fishing? Not only that but I've read that the Bomber "chicken scratch" is a great nighttime lure. Now I don't want to get into the color thing or anything but I just have one question...

How the hell does the fish see at all?

Not only that but how the hell do you guys see what you're doing? Also what time are you guys going "night time" fishing? Are we talking dusk or straight up 11pm fishing? 

There was a time I wouldn't even go until at least an hour after dark. Not after sunset, after dark. 

Your eyes acclimate to the dark... And the fish have sensors along their body that can pickup surrounding vibrations.... Surprising my best nighttime lure color is black... I have caught many monster fish at night with black colored lures...  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dang you guys got me excited now. Its like a whole new discovery with opportunities for me! Last time we were at the beach I remember my son and I rushing to eat a late dinner because we had to get fishing before it got dark. 

Little did I know... 

Are the bugs and no-see-ums any better at dark? 

Edited by Stopsign32v

6 mins ago, ohbri13 said:

Surf fishing and fishing from the jetties black is also my go to color once it gets dark... seems counterintuitive I know :shrug: 

Awesome reel in your avatard....

Trying to get the proper snap ring arms to pop the sideplate bearing retainers. :)

25 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

So again, I'm new to fishing so forgive my disbelief. I've always called it quits basically when it gets too dark to safely throw a baseball. But you guys are talking about straight up night time fishing? Not only that but I've read that the Bomber "chicken scratch" is a great nighttime lure. Now I don't want to get into the color thing or anything but I just have one question...

Not only that but how the hell do you guys see what you're doing? Also what time are you guys going "night time" fishing? Are we talking dusk or straight up 11pm fishing? 

I usually start FW night fishing at 11pm making sure I am at my desired spot at 1am....then go from there.

Night in salt......time tide bait etc plays a big role....

If you're not a night owl to begin with and don't spend much time out in the dark...don't dive right in fishing challenging terrain....

I generally dont even like to fish unless its dark or i am taking my kids... Takes getting used to it but once you adjust places that barely produced or produced small fish becomes a totally different world after dark.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I fish salt water quite frequently during overnights. From June through October, every other week, I take a day off, mid-week, coinciding with ideal tides & moons. I usually head straight from work to the beach where I'll fish until the the next morning.

I fished the Sunday just past from about 10:00 pm until about 3:00 pm on Monday. I caught most of my night fish with a black Bomber, a yellow over white needlefish and live eels.

I used to subscribe to black at night but I've had so many good results with ghost escence, chicken scratch or bone at night that I throw those colors first, then switch to black if those colors aren't working.

Stripers love lobsters and crabs. I do well at some spots at the canal while bouncing jigheads with sluggos on the bottom. The keepers that I've brought home from these spots quite often had a stomach full of crabs. How does a striper see a black/red sluggo, jigged at the bottom of the canal, 40' deep, in the middle of the night? It doesn't. It feels and hears the sounds and vibrations crabs make while walking around the bottom, clicking along the rocks. A sluggo bounced on the bottom, creates a similar noise to a lobster or crab clanking around on the bottom.

Lures like Bombers or SP minnows rattle. At night, stripers can hear and feel the vibrations that these lures make.

A bonus of fishing at night is all the sights one sees in the night sky. This year I often saw Mercury, Saturn, Jupiter, Mar and Venus in the night sky, in addition to the various moon phases. If it's a clear enough night, I can see the Milky Way on some Cape & Vineyard beaches. And if there are meteor showers that night, the night sky gets even more interesting.

Edited by zak-striper

29 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Your eyes acclimate to the dark... And the fish have sensors along their body that can pickup surrounding vibrations.... Surprising my best nighttime lure color is black... I have caught many monster fish at night with black colored lures...  

All true and don't forget except for a few spots on the east coast, there is ambient light even with a new moon. 

Fishing at night is a real thing and certain times of the year for certain species is much more productive than during the day time. Many fish are caught at night in the dark.  Many babies are also made in the dark. Most ugly women (and men) are told "I love you" in the dark. Darkness helps us all!

12 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Most ugly women (and men) are told "I love you" in the dark. 

Especially if tequila is near by...just sayin'.  :)

To quote George Carlin "I never effed a 10 but one night I effed five 2s."