Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 20 - Oct 27

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

 

Lots of local action. Lots of fish reports. Lot of participation.

We did catch one albie, and two bonito a few days ago. Just luck blind fishing for stripers and macs.

They could make a cameo appearance again, being in the right place at the right time.

Lots of bait still holding in the ponds. Where are the slot fish and bigger?

This should be a good week with lots of surface blitzing along the south shore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out yesturday at a very popular beach and breachway. I like to target late afternoon low tides so I can fish the beach and then follow with some rotation after dark. Sorry I had to use the "R" word, it apparently upsets some folks here but I wanted to give an accurate report.

 

Arrived around slack tide, a bit late but still had a few hours of daylight. Walked on to the beach and it looked like some type of armageddon, Men and some women all in the same uniform covered the shoreline as far as you could see. Looked like an invasion was forcasted and special forces were deployed to guard the beach. Anyway I found an open spot, guys were about 30 feet apart for a mile or two. 

 

Then a giant circle of dark water started heading my way right up to the waves, to a point where you sould see all stripes as the waves crashed. They were picky but a small popper was what they wanted ( tried every plug last time and found what they were after). This went on until dark up and down the shoreline giving evryone a chance. Father and 9 year old daughter were next to me, she yelled nice one as I pulled in my first fish. Shorly after that she yelled, "I got one".

 

After 10 fish or so only up to 29" it was dark and I decided to head to the point. There were 3 guys up there and two were leaving, they said they each released 20+ up to keeper size, nothing big. Told me the bite was still there as they walked away. So now I'm in a rotation with only one other guy. It was his first time there and appeared to be handycapped since he was using a cane to move on the rocks. He didn't know about the rotation so I filled him in. Took some time but he got it. The bite was still on and the current was strong, I couldn't believe it was just two of us. Fish were still small around 27 with the occasional 28-29.  It gave me a chance to take my time and try different things, after an hour a 3rd guy showed up. The three of us fished for an hour all with fish on every retrieve. Then they both left and I had the place to myself. (It was just myself and the opossum, the little guy is starting to get big) The current finally stopped but the fish were still there, I switched to a bucktail and was able to reach the fish off the end of the jetty. Fish continued on every retrieve. I lost count but kept going to catch that good size slot fish but it never happened. Bite stopped ( slowed down) around 9PM

 

Sorry for the lengthy report but all the whinning and complaining lately doesn't paint the real picture of RI fishing at its best. we're extreamly lucky to have such a shoreline and resource. Sure it was crowded and why would I expect to have the beach to myself ??? I guess some guys would have seen the crowd and left, I didn't and had a great night.  9 year old 20 feet away from me yelling, "Nice one" made my night.

 

BTW I wonder how many of you know what I mean about the opossum?

Edited by Goddard park Boat Ramp
opossum survey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got out on the water yesterday morning for a change, it’s nice to have a friend with a boat. 

From about 0800 to about 11 we worked the beach from T-Swift’s house east trolling a bit and just keeping an eye out for surface action stripers or albies with no luck. After watching a group of about 7 boats rocketing back and forth chasing some birds that couldn’t seem to make up their mind we moved back west and fished tog for about an hour and a half. 
 

We had great luck catching a bunch of blackfish over a nice section of reef but intelligently left a tape in the truck. Fortunately I had a dollar on me and was able to figure out what 18” was and work off that. In all we kept 4 fish that were around 18” released a dozen or so that had to have been around the 16” mark and one monster that was well over 22”

 

I know it’s a few days out of date and may be more applicable to the previous report period but oh well. I went out around 0400 to a popular jetty/break water on the drive Sunday morning. Extreme low tide and I could basically walk all the way out onto the structure out there. Threw everything in my bag on the rising tide with nothing to show for it.
 

A couple of guys showed up around 530 am and sat in the parking lot hitting me with some of the brightest flood lights I’ve ever seen for close to 15 minutes. They then proceeded to mostly fall out to the point with 3 buckets, a bunch of 12 foot rods and one giant spotlight between the two of them while yelling to one another about god knows what. 
 

I took that as my cue and headed more east and worked the top water around sunrise for an hour with no luck and instead drove to the corner cafe to reward myself with pancakes. 

 

Edited by AClarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Albie Action has slowed down. I know a f

3 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

Out yesturday at a very popular beach and breachway. I like to target late afternoon low tides so I can fish the beach and then follow with some rotation after dark. Sorry I had to use the "R" word, it apparently upsets some folks here but I wanted to give an accurate report.

 

Arrived around slack tide, a bit late but still had a few hours of daylight. Walked on to the beach and it looked like some type of armageddon, Men and some women all in the same uniform covered the shoreline as far as you could see. Looked like an invasion was forcasted and special forces were deployed to guard the beach. Anyway I found an open spot, guys were about 30 feet apart for a mile or two. 

 

Then a giant circle of dark water started heading my way right up to the waves, to a point where you sould see all stripes as the waves crashed. They were picky but a small popper was what they wanted ( tried every plug last time and found what they were after). This went on until dark up and down the shoreline giving evryone a chance. Father and 9 year old daughter were next to me, she yelled nice one as I pulled in my first fish. Shorly after that she yelled, "I got one".

 

After 10 fish or so only up to 29" it was dark and I decided to head to the point. There were 3 guys up there and two were leaving, they said they each released 20+ up to keeper size, nothing big. Told me the bite was still there as they walked away. So now I'm in a rotation with only one other guy. It was his first time there and appeared to be handycapped since he was using a cane to move on the rocks. He didn't know about the rotation so I filled him in. Took some time but he got it. The bite was still on and the current was strong, I couldn't believe it was just two of us. Fish were still small around 27 with the occasional 28-29.  It gave me a chance to take my time and try different things, after an hour a 3rd guy showed up. The three of us fished for an hour all with fish on every retrieve. Then they both left and I had the place to myself. (It was just myself and the opossum, the little guy is starting to get big) The current finally stopped but the fish were still there, I switched to a bucktail and was able to reach the fish off the end of the jetty. Fish continued on every retrieve. I lost count but kept going to catch that good size slot fish but it never happened. Bite stopped ( slowed down) around 9PM

 

Sorry for the lengthy report but all the whinning and complaining lately doesn't paint the real picture of RI fishing at its best. we're extreamly lucky to have such a shoreline and resource. Sure it was crowded and why would I expect to have the beach to myself ??? I guess some guys would have seen the crowd and left, I didn't and had a great night.  9 year old 20 feet away from me yelling, "Nice one" made my night.

Nice seeing larger mix in to keep things entertaining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly numbers of sub 26" bass around now. Every once in a while i see a slot or higher fish caught, but far from the norm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out with a buddy today, braved the pouring rain in search of some tog

It wasn't easy but it certainly paid off, 

Both got our limit with quite a few slobs, ( largest was 23 inches and 7 lb 2) but I ended up being the netboy more than anything today 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out today on the normal beaches.  Silly amount of fish.  We made it one cut further than i did Friday.  Slot fish and smaller at will.  Caught a couple blues, a black seabass and a bunch of shad.  No macks.  No albies.

 

My dad broke my 23 hour old St Croix mojo inshore that was just replaced for breaking in exact same scenario on a small schoolie.  Not high sticked, just bringing fish to boat.  Have not had issues with my older mojo or avid doing same fishing.

20201020_080707.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever forecast today's weather sucked balls. Didn't anticipate to rain at least most of the morning last night; Did not check the weather this morning since I was in a rush - Rained after I watch the sunrise.... like pouring rain off and on. All wet. Did saw a pod of funny water about 400 yards out from shore with birds on them, not sure what they are but guessing a pod of big bunkers. Nothing surfaced but boiling for a good 30 min in the rain.

 

Pouring rain made us get back to the car to dry off and move to the next spot left the little guy biting (no keepers yet). 

 

Second spot was 30 min away and was drizzling then cleared with clam winds and sun out right at the top of the tide. Found a single keeper and few short togs before it start raining again. Left right before it started to rain.

 

Two things:

Always check the weather when there are forecast shower throughout the day.

 

Togs can't find bait in the rain. Often times today we have to move the bait a bit before it starts biting. Otherwise it just sits there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, foxfai said:

Always check the weather when there are forecast shower throughout the day.

 

 

I have little faith in the weathermen's predictions, especially when it come to wind and expected wave heights. 

Those are my two governing factors. I can always don weather gear, but with mostly fly fishing, that's what makes a trip very difficult or impossible.

 

I always check the active radar throughout the day. It's real and in real time. I find that that is the most reliable source to use what pending ahead.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Silly numbers of sub 26" bass around now. Every once in a while i see a slot or higher fish caught, but far from the norm. 

Same for me. It’s nuts sometimes how many fish there are once a feed starts. I keep hoping that I’ll land a larger fish, but so far 26” is the largest I’ve landed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still passed.

Rushed from work to get out in the yak before dark. A little rough launching, got out passed the break. Reached for my rod and it was gone. Must have fallen out of the holder during launch. Spent an hour dragging bottom with a snag hook. No luck. Tide was coming in fast.

Packed up and went home. 

Anyone find a diawa bg on a penn rod this morning?

Perfect albie setup, won't replace that until next year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I WENT TO JUST LOOK OUT THIS AFTERNOON .OOPS  caps   in the upper bay

 

it was eerie quiet, mistly, fog, clear , blue   all at once ..flat ass  calm          …………..……….  not a boat leaving or entering a bay cove …………..  then coming up the river a lone slap ………   then shortly  a another  & another …………..….  not tight , but scattered . some in the channel & some in a mud flat in low water .looked to be a mix  of schoolies to maybe  small slots  .

 watched for a while longer & went home content .

 I knew if I lived  surly I,d get old [LOL]  but I never expected  the being ok with the watching  not fishing part …. I,ve done that quite a bit this year

 &&& as of this  past weekend  there are large schools of adult pogies  just about everywhere in the bay . From north of the bridges to in the prov river ><>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got in from fishing the top and outgoing tide at a jetty on a drive on an island. Pulled up and started to get my waders on. Some ****ing jackass in a keep decided driving 45 on the access road in the park in the dark was a good idea. Missed me by a few feet but caught a puddle and absolutely soaked the inside of my truck. ****ing clown. 
 

Got out to the end of the jetty and hooked up on the first cast using a larger paddle swim bait and a 2 oz jig head. Landed maybe a dozen fish or so mostly around 25-28” if I were to guess maybe one or two slot fish. Gave up after losing my purple needle to the rocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit a popular beach on Tuesday evening about an hour before dark. Found a spot between the line of fishermen up and down the beach. The stripers were blitzing and moving along the shoreline. Wind in the face, got my first couple of bass on a kastmaster knock off. Switched to a small bucktail and got a few more, maybe 26-27 inches at the high end.

 

After dark, the people left but the fish remained. Getting nothing nothing on my blurple SP. Added a redgill teaser, same deal. I changed the SP out for a white SS needle, the bumps turned to hook ups. Caught maybe a half dozen bass, all on the needle, none on teaser. That was the FIRST time I ever caught a fish on a needle. Good way to build some confidence.

 

Today, took the boat out in pea soup glassy conditions. Schools of Macs and stripers all over. I caught a few with a pink epoxy jig but didn't g go chasing the schoolies, I was looking for tog. Slow start, but the bite picked up quick. Mostly shorts but enough keepers to keep it interesting. Kept 4, threw back many keepers. I thought I had 5 in the bucket, gotta learn to count more better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.