jimithang3

Wader recommendations

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Following up with another dumb question.  I got my waders.  Frogg Toggs. I went on price - just couldn't justify Simms.   But now that I have em what do you all wear under boot foot waders in fall or winter..  Yes noob question.  I'm a summer guy / spring guy.  Wife and I are looking to buy a place closer to the ocean but as it stands - i'm a half learned googan.  I'm driving 45 min before i get to the water.  The info i've picked up so far on this forum is awesome - so thanks even if this question is gonna get me whooped.  

Warm socks.  

When I start wearing them in the fall I just wear long gym socks.  As it gets colder, the socks get warmer.

Bring a couple of pairs when you go and if your feet get cold, try the other pair.

The same goes for pants.  I start with nylon, hiking pants as they are thin and add a pair of under armor pants under that ad it gets colder.

Jeans are too bulky for me under waders and add extra weight.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, jimithang3 said:

Following up with another dumb question.  I got my waders.  Frogg Toggs. I went on price - just couldn't justify Simms.   But now that I have em what do you all wear under boot foot waders in fall or winter..  Yes noob question.  I'm a summer guy / spring guy.  Wife and I are looking to buy a place closer to the ocean but as it stands - i'm a half learned googan.  I'm driving 45 min before i get to the water.  The info i've picked up so far on this forum is awesome - so thanks even if this question is gonna get me whooped.  

I wear Merino wool socks.  Two things that equal cold feet with me are moisture and constriction.  The wool breathes fairly well and pulls moisture away from the skin....just make sure the sock is around 80% wool.  As far as constriction goes just make sure your toes can move around a bit....if not, a larger boot or thinner sock is required.  

Edited by Frede

been researching for a newbie surf friend....there seems to be a shortage of boot-foot breathable chest waders online...

Hodgeman and Proline especially....Giglios/Sea Bright had some in over the weekend...think they were Frogg Toggs in 8-12's but when he went there there the 12's were gone....Call ahead

I bought my first pair of neoprene waders this fall, Hodeman's but haven't used them yet. Got them a few days ago. Have always had breathables. I still have a functioning pair of LL Bean stockingfoot breathables (Kennebec) but wanted a second pair for the colder weather that was bootfoot. Also been wanting to get a pair of bootfoot so I don't have to stop every 45 minutes to remove sand.

Edited by Heavy Seas

don't wear waders much anymore.  most of the time i can get away with muck boots.  but the best pair I've ever owned were kobuk waders.  I don't know where I even got them from and I've tried to find the company or another company that may have bought them out.  they've lasted the longest for me.  6-8 yrs i think.  since then LL bean (sucked) been through 3-4 of their boot foots and the last pair I didn't even want to swap i took store credit.  before that was red ball and proline.  everything leaks eventually.  currently wearing frogg togg and I'm not fond of them but they do the job i need them to do.  

Wound up with froggtogs waist high and simms boots with the little twisty lock thing like golf shoes..  so far so good.  no leaks very good fit for me, not a big dude at 5 6.  money spent in boots was saved in waders .. funny squishing feeling in surf at knees.   im a googan so thats prob normal but is odd for a beginner 

Started with LL bean stocking foot waders. The socks were made for Clown Feet and I wear a 12.

Switched to Frog Togg boot foot. Cheap enough that you won't cry when they spring a leak.

If you're beaching it, go boot foot.