jimithang3

Wader recommendations

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Can't beat Simms and their warranty

I'm on my 13th year of G3 Guide waders. Small hole in the stockingfoot this year. Small shopping bag and rubber band and I'm dry. I probably use them 200 days a year.

I don't know how necessary neoprene waders are. The good folks here basically talked me out of them. Sure, if I could have both neoprene and breathable a then go for it but if I'm just getting one, then skip neoprene. Seen a guy wearing neoprenes already this year lol. Probably sort of depends where you fish too and how much. If you're a night guy that's hardcore about going out every night all November and December and the spots you fish force you waste deep in the water it might be worth it

I don't even wear neoprene for winter steelhead fishing, second you start sweating it completely negates the extra warmth they are supposed to provide. Much better off with breathable waders and a few layers of warm pants underneath. 

Simms are top notch, Orvis are good with a good warranty along with LL Bean. If all you are doing is fishing from the sandy beaches in NJ boot foot waders would get my nod for the convenience.  I have stocking foot waders too and used them for years because I am a "freshwater" fly-fisherman but grabbed  a pair of boot foot waders for the beach now. 

I consider it one of my life's missions to deter people from buying Frogg Toggs. I hope I contribute to them going out of business.  That's how bad they treated me and that's how bad their waders perform.  True, they feel great and are comfortable and have plenty of pockets but their quality control is the absolute worst. LL Bean will be my next big wader purchase.  For me, boot foot only. Sand will work it's way in between the boot and the stocking and constrict the ankles.  I know there are some who will swear by stockingfoot though. Comes down to personal preference and these are my opinions.

2 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

patagonia outlet in freeport maine is running a 50% off sale, i was in there 10/20 and they had waders available.They do mail order.

Didn't see anything listed on sale but I did see they are asking $749 for stocking foots and another $549 for boots, thats $1300 bucks for waders, I'm out.

When I fish surf it's 99.9% sand. Bought Orvis $300 Clearwater Breathable Bootfoot last year.  15 times in surf so far (sometimes 2 tides) and I am happy....and so far so good.  They solved an issue with other brands, which of late, fit me like tents....too much material/bulk.  Seems all manufacturers eliminated their std sizes and make only stocky over the last few yrs.

Surf ratting 40+ yrs....here's what I do.  I don't spend $500-$800 on waders....I buy two pair of $150-$180 breathable boot foot.  Neoprene (even in 5 degrees) equals sweat/cold.  Stocking foots are slow on/off, harder to cleanup and bring sandy annoyances...sand in shoes, pants issues, guard issues etc.  Waders are wear items which can be somewhat fixed to stretch lifespan, but the surf is harsh and it's rare that they last.  I get 2 to 5 yrs out of them with two pair in rotation....a quick rinse and dry after each use helps.   

I could buy the $800 lifetime warranty waders and have nearly done so several times...then I talk to the guys that have issues with them. The worst is when guys have to send them away for warranty repair during a bass runs and have to BUY waders to fish.  Some guys resort to gooping the leak themselves which may be what the warranty repair would be anyway.  In some cases, but I don't hear this much anymore, they get a brand new pair.

Again, above is what I do and the advice is worth the price you paid for it.                  

All waders suck and will leak eventually. Pro-lines I’m lucky to get a full season out of. Same goes for frogg toggs. 

I’ve always bought boot foot until my last purchase of LL Bean Emergers. Bought them last September. Still bone dry and comfortable. A lot nicer on your feet/ankles. Korker Greenback wading boots work fine. 

Buy some aquaseal, keep it in your truck for when the day eventually comes.. 

On 10/25/2020 at 10:52 AM, Highlander1 said:

Didn't see anything listed on sale but I did see they are asking $749 for stocking foots and another $549 for boots, thats $1300 bucks for waders, I'm out.

call the freeport store and ask what they have in stock, ya got to remember the price is 50% off of the already 30% off the outlet price.

LL bean for me, I would definitely get another pair even though they changed their warranty. Dryft, Simms, cabelas, hodgman, caddie, and gator make decent waders too. 

Edited by hystyk1921