Wader recommendations

Rate this topic

jimithang3

There are miles of information if you use the search on the site.  You'll find many results some recent and others not but all super relevant.  You'll see a pattern from those similar posts on what the more popular brands are, what is better for sandy beaches vs rocky shorelines and the pro and cons between neoprene or breathable.   From that you should get yourself in a good spot and learn what will work best for you.  You'll also learn all waders pretty much stink,  they don't last long, all will leak and some leak even brand new.  More often you'll pay attention to warranty than anything else and this shouldn't be ignored at all. 

If you still more questions after then come back with a more narrowed post and you'll likely get more responses.  

Good luck! 

Easy answer to cost and what works for you. With stocking foot you need to buy boots with that(2 purchases). These are lighter on the foot but can fill with sand depending on your style of wading. With the boot style attached to the wader definitely get a quality one because it will be hard on the shins and usually start cracking at the flex point in a short while. I would start at frogg toggs as they are pretty decent for the price you can find. If you went with a stocking setup, the boots I've had for years and countless days are the simms. Just do your research before buying. It gets costly. 

Edited by FishingmaniYaks

Anything, and i mean anything but Frogg Toggs. Had 2 pairs (one was a replacement that I had to wait nearly a year to get) and both leaked in the first month! Then on top of it, dealing with their warranty department is unbelievably difficult. I've had a decent pair of White River waders from BassPro but they are cheap, around $100 but they've been doing the job and keeping me dry.  

This is definitely all personal preference. Always used neoprene, next 2 pairs were the breathable vinyl, 2 different brands and couldn't stand them, even though they were much cooler. I found not only that they were so prone to leaks, but I couldn't stand how baggy they were, which is probably relative to needing a large boot size. Back in neoprene again, a pair of prolines and have been much happier. Only have used boot waders though. Will note that if you have bigger calves, most Boot waders will tear up your calves. This usually subsides though with more frequent wearing of them

To circle back on this after suggesting using the search to help.   I forever and a day used to buy boot foot waders.  It's all I ever worn and it's the thing about fall fishing that I couldn't stand. For more than a few years I would sit out the fall run because I was never comfortable in them.  

For one I have big wide feet.   In order for me to get a boot that fit the width I requires I had to buy a size 2 and sometimes 3 up from what I would fit in.   This meant I had a baggy mess around my legs, waste and chest. Even still the boot foot wader's largest size never would seem to match when sized up properly what I would be in a normal work boot for instance.

This year I finally went to a stocking foot waders even though I mostly fish sandy beaches.  I was able to get a wader that fits me perfectly and then a boot that fits me perfectly too.  It is the first time in ages that I want to wear waders and feel comfortable in them..    Sure I have to deal with some sand under the gravel guard but it's not been bad at all, very tolerable.  

I also like that my korker boots allows me put a sole on for the kind of fishing I'm doing.  If I want to hit a jetty I can put on the carbide spikes, the beach I can put the rubber soles and I have felt bottoms too which would also work on a jetty.  This system has made things super versatile to me.   I also like that should I have a problem with the wader and have to replace them I don't have to go on a wild search hoping I find a boot foot that fits my size 14 wide feet again.  

We'll see how these go.  If you have big, wide feet just keep in mind that to get boot foot to fit you may have to have up 2 or more sizes.  That's just nuts and don't feel great. Also once you get in the water with boots that don't fit well  it's like trying to keep a ball under water constantly.  I've left that behind.  

I would suggest going to your local sporting store and trying some on for size. I am 5'8" and stout so if took me a few tries to find what almost fit me. I had to have my stocking feet tailored because they were a size 13 shoe and I wear a size 11. ( I found a guy on this site that had it done so I reached out to the same tailor he used. ) I have used the waders twice so far with no leakage.

Frogg Toggs Anura 2 stocking foot.

37 mins ago, jetty eddy said:

I miss the old redballs and mostly the original gralites(id buy them in a minute if they made em)

or the old Converse......wore them for years.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Can't beat Simms and their warranty, eventually no matter how much you spend on waders they are going to spring a leak. One thing to think about on deciding stocking foot vs boot foot, is if you have ape feet me like me those boot foot tend to be narrow fitting and uncomfortable and the seem where the boot meets the waders is usually the first to fail. 

The problem with the search function is that it seems the past few years haven't been kind to waders and their manufacturers.  Some stopped very generous return policies, others have had notable declines in quality, some waders just aren't produced at all anymore.

Then, there's the subjective nature - some people get hot easily, others are a lot more sensitive to discomfort from the boots...  At this point, I'm thinking there is one iron clad rule to any wader/boot purchase - make sure they offer a warranty, they stand behind it, and they have a good return policy.  

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.