RedJeep

Daughter is looking at Tahoes, 2017 and newer for Beach and comuting

12 posts in this topic

First big question is, what happened to 4 Low? The Tahoes she is looking at don't have it. Other than that, how are they on sand beaches like we have here on Long Island. She is turning in the Mini Van with AWD (all wheel drive) for a better commute in the snow and some beach time with the family.

Peace

Had a gal work for me who wanted to show off her new Explorer. When I asked how to  engage 4wd She just shrugged, “no idea”. Turns out she bought a 2wd , she just assumed they were all 4wd. 

44 mins ago, connman said:

Had a gal work for me who wanted to show off her new Explorer. When I asked how to  engage 4wd She just shrugged, “no idea”. Turns out she bought a 2wd , she just assumed they were all 4wd. 

I dated a girl who's daddy bought her a new Explorer the day the roads were cleared of the last foot of snow.

Bought her a 2wd.......When I asked him about it....because he said he wanted  to be sure she was safe.....He thought the same thing..assumed 4wd.....Was pretty pissed.

40 + years of running beaches with assorted buggies and never needed nor used 4 low. We had an 2011 Tahoe that ran the beaches from Island Beach to Ocracoke and it was a tank on the sand. It was a beast the snow too.

My wife has a 2018 Tahoe premier. She has 4x4 and 4low. We keep it in 2wd pretty much all the time. I’ve had in the snow a few times it’s a beast. Not sure I would take it on the beach. It could handle it but I wouldn’t wanna ruin it in anyway. 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, scoobydoo said:

I dated a girl who's daddy bought her a new Explorer the day the roads were cleared of the last foot of snow.

Bought her a 2wd.......When I asked him about it....because he said he wanted  to be sure she was safe.....He thought the same thing..assumed 4wd.....Was pretty pissed.

There hasn’t been a 4x4 Explorer in quite some time. They are AWD now. I had a 17’ sport AWD. I’d never drive that in the beach.

My first car at 17 was a 2004 explorer 4x4 that thing was an absolute animal in the snow. You couldn’t stick it. 

Well I don't think I have to worry about my daughter, as she was born into a beach fishing and beach camping family.  She found a '17 with the 4Low (just for peace of mind, she refuses to be 'that chick that got stuck'). In the end she is keeping the MiniVan too.

To those who posted here, Thanks.

Peace

On 10/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, scoobydoo said:

Amazing that people don't do their homework before spending the price of a car.  (Although some of us do   :)  )

The newer Tahoe and Suburbans have a very low frond bumper molding causing low clearance. They look like great rigs for an outdoorsman except for that. 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, BrianBM said:

Amazing that people don't do their homework before spending the price of a car.  (Although some of us do   :)  )

Im reliably informed you will soon be publishing a 250 page handbook on the decision making process involved in buying a Toyota 4Runner. :laugh: