ACFishing

Tautog combo thread

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Very recently I came across a new combo for this tautog season a stradic ci4+ 2500 with a 4000 handle on a 7ft medium, legend tournament inshore with my favorite skinner S&S jig 1.5 oz. Probably one of the best purchases I’ve made. what’s y’all’s choice of rod and reel for togs? 7F8CDAD1-7BA5-4604-BC48-FBC142FAF906.jpeg.76b6fe0754e57fe4d6cfadbfb22e178d.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Avet sx with a maxel platinum slow pitch rod, at least to 8 ounces. I know some people do well with the jigs, but I don't get the hype.

Edited by C.Robin

4 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Avet sx with a maxel platinum slow pitch rod, at least to 8 ounces. I know some people do well with the jigs, but I don't get the hype.

I don't like it from the boat or casting it out but from shore or in calm waters on boat dropping it in front of me, it's so versatile as it sits standing up and preventing me from getting caught and cuts out the chance of the weight getting hung up in the rocks with a fish on. 

7’6 lami triflex with a twin power 3000 i fish mostly from shore. I like the jigs but to me they are ridiculously expensive for what it is and the type of fishing its used for. Rather have a few different hooks and a handful of sinkers for the same price as 3 1oz tog jigs 

7'6" Bogan Fish Poison MH with an Avet MX 5.8.

For me, it's absolutely perfect for Tog, Sea Bass, offshore wrecks, and sub-500ft Tile Fish.

Trolls Mojos for Stripers just fine as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been breaking in my 10' penn battalion w/ daiwa lexa-cc 400 this season and I'm really liking it this combo so far. I like the function of baitcasters for bottom fishing and the lexa has plenty of power for pulling tog out of the rocks. Landed my first 17.5" keeper on it the other day and it handled it like a dream. Seems like I use a longer rod than a lot of people but I've used 7'-10' rods for shore togging and I like the extra length for a number of reasons and don't really see any downsides, this combo is sensitive enough to feel bites from 4" sea bass and light enough to hold all day.

2020tog2.png.1265244ba3451984f54f844594175171.png

Edited by SneakyWeakie

1 hour ago, SneakyWeakie said:

I've been breaking in my 10' penn battalion w/ daiwa lexa-cc 400 this season and I'm really liking it this combo so far. I like the function of baitcasters for bottom fishing and the lexa has plenty of power for pulling tog out of the rocks. Landed my first 17.5" keeper on it the other day and it handled it like a dream. Seems like I use a longer rod than a lot of people but I've used 7'-10' rods for shore togging and I like the extra length for a number of reasons and don't really see any downsides, this combo is sensitive enough to feel bites from 4" sea bass and light enough to hold all day.

2020tog2.png.1265244ba3451984f54f844594175171.png

Usually we aren't pitching our baits far from us and the shorter rods give us more power on the fish to bring them out of the rocks as we can have more leverage on the fish 

Siegler SGN on a Jigging World Dark Knight. This combo can handle anything from scup to small tuna. Super Sensitive with crazy power in a super light package.

I'll agree with the longer rod for togging but only from jettys. For that I use a Lami triflex 9.5 footer rated 3-6 oz, but it's not great for jigs. Sinkers are better with that rod. Plenty of power despite the length.

Avet G2 paired with 731m challenger bank 

lexa 300HD paired with 6’8 charter special 

twin power 5000 paired with 7ft gloomis 845

I don’t really have a light tackle tog fishery. For the once in a bluemoon that I mess around in the canal or an inlet for tog I’ll use a little premier with a daiwa baitcaster. 

48 mins ago, Mike said:

PS: Level drag reels have no place in bottom fishing. 

Ill agree to that unless I'm Tile Fishing or any deep water fishing, theres no need for lever drags

3 hours ago, Mike said:

PS: Level drag reels have no place in bottom fishing. 

The only argument I've seen against lever drags for bottom fishing is it takes a millisecond longer to engage the spool.  Who cares? It's just preference. People use them down south bottom fishing for grouper that could swallow the record tog whole.

Just now, C.Robin said:

The only argument I've seen against lever drags for bottom fishing is it takes a millisecond longer to engage the spool.  Who cares? It's just preference. People use them down south bottom fishing for grouper that could swallow the record tog whole.

Those are large reels designed for tuna that are adapted for use in other large fish. It's more about drag and two speeds than levers.