Birdsnester

Reel Recommendation for Lami GSB 1322L

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

So, I just picked up a new gen Lami 1322L from BST.  Thank you Lee!  Looking for reel recommendations for it.  I kind of want to stick with something old school like a 704 or 710 but I put the 704 on the rod and it feels too big.  The rod is really light, much lighter than I thought It would be.  So, to me it does not feel balanced.  Any thoughts?  

5 hours ago, paulbo said:

710 is too small for that rod. 704 is a better choice of two you mentioned. 

Other old school choice would be penn 6500SS

Yeah I put the 710 on to see and wow it’s way too small.  I think the weight of the 704 is too much for this light rod.

A 704 or 6 is a classic reel on that rod the way it was once traditionally built.  Large spools with large coils and big stripper guides to accommodate monofilament line.  These days very little is the same both in the build of the blank its self being lighter and also the design of the finished rod using concept guides running up the length of the rod.  

Adjusting the feel of a rod can be done by shifting the reel up or down on a seatless rod, heavier reels have less impact on the action of a rod when placed further down the butt, an inch makes a big difference.  The issue with today's concept guides is also in their strength.  The guies are placed specifically for where the reel seat is placed and because their drastically smaller in diameter, shifting the placement of the reel will result in larger coils running through the stripper and slowing line speed. On rods with a traditional setup, reel position can be adjusted without hurting line speed through the guides.  So if the reel feels to heavy on the rod's reel seat then go for something else....although I still bellieve the best reel for that rod is a 704 or a 250

17 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

A 704 or 6 is a classic reel on that rod the way it was once traditionally built.  Large spools with large coils and big stripper guides to accommodate monofilament line.  These days very little is the same both in the build of the blank its self being lighter and also the design of the finished rod using concept guides running up the length of the rod.  

Adjusting the feel of a rod can be done by shifting the reel up or down on a seatless rod, heavier reels have less impact on the action of a rod when placed further down the butt, an inch makes a big difference.  The issue with today's concept guides is also in their strength.  The guies are placed specifically for where the reel seat is placed and because their drastically smaller in diameter, shifting the placement of the reel will result in larger coils running through the stripper and slowing line speed. On rods with a traditional setup, reel position can be adjusted without hurting line speed through the guides.  So if the reel feels to heavy on the rod's reel seat then go for something else....although I still bellieve the best reel for that rod is a 704 or a 250

That's a really good response.  Thanks.  You did lose me a little and here is why.  if the newer generation GSB with the concept guides are designed for smaller loops in the line, how can a 704 or 706 work well with it?  The rod is so slim and light it feels like I am attaching a tank to the rod lol..  The other thing that is kind of odd to me is that the 704 just barely fits the reel seat.  I actually had to remove the locking nut so that I could back off the locking ring enough to fit it.   

I'm one of those guys who likes to have one reel for each rod.  So, begrudgingly I removed my Saltx 6000 from my Century 1506 slingshot and put it on the Lami.  Now that feels just right!  I really did not want to do it since the Saltx is perfect for the Century but I did it to test it.  It seems like that size is just right.  

I have a 704 mounted on an old Lami Honey and that is a PERFECT fit.  

Drill out the 704 and it will feel lighter. Might wobble a little without putting in a counterweight, but that never bothered me or the reel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

30 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

That's a really good response.  Thanks.  You did lose me a little and here is why.  if the newer generation GSB with the concept guides are designed for smaller loops in the line, how can a 704 or 706 work well with it?  The rod is so slim and light it feels like I am attaching a tank to the rod lol..  The other thing that is kind of odd to me is that the 704 just barely fits the reel seat.  I actually had to remove the locking nut so that I could back off the locking ring enough to fit it.   

I'm one of those guys who likes to have one reel for each rod.  So, begrudgingly I removed my Saltx 6000 from my Century 1506 slingshot and put it on the Lami.  Now that feels just right!  I really did not want to do it since the Saltx is perfect for the Century but I did it to test it.  It seems like that size is just right.  

I have a 704 mounted on an old Lami Honey and that is a PERFECT fit.  

Maybe misinterpreted, the reel matches the rod its self beautifully when built a certain way but when concept guides are employed using such a large spooled reel is not a good choice.  Concept guys will disagree with me here.....but it's just what iv observed.

I also detest concept layouts, I think their unnecessary and unattractive.  More guides, more potential breakage an more guides to run line through.  I dont bellieve the superficial distance allegedly achieved over traditional guide layouts is worth the layouts afoermentioned drawbacks, including limiting the use of old style reels.

A zb 22 is probably an ideal reel for that rod and a concept lay out 

Edited by DeepBlue85

5 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Yeah I put the 710 on to see and wow it’s way too small.  I think the weight of the 704 is too much for this light rod.

Owned same rod prior in 1 piece and sold. Wish I didn’t, lol. 

Had VS250 on it which is very close to your targeted 704. I would put that Baby on it and start fishing it. 

4 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Agree with you buddy on 704 / 250

9 mins ago, paulbo said:

Owned same rod prior in 1 piece and sold. Wish I didn’t, lol. 

Had VS250 on it which is very close to your targeted 704. I would put that Baby on it and start fishing it. 

One thing that I don’t like is that the 704 barely fits in the seat.  It almost doesn’t look solid.  

11 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

One thing that I don’t like is that the 704 barely fits in the seat.  It almost doesn’t look solid.  

Didn’t see that concern prior. 704s are cheap enough to file shaft a bit but you may want to search for another option. 

1 hour ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Buy the blank and build it your self...its easier than you think if you dont care about fancy wraps 

I build rods too but I got this one at a good deal so it is what it is

1 hour ago, paulbo said:

Didn’t see that concern prior. 704s are cheap enough to file shaft a bit but you may want to search for another option. 

Yeah I thought I mentioned that.  I had to back off the second nut Completely in order to back off the reel lock enough to squeeze it on.  I like my 704’s and don’t really want to file them

down.