bart1

209 Grady Esacape

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I’ve been fishing a 16 foot duranautic in my south shore Long Island bays for 7 years. I love the boat and it’s setup well to fluke and fish the flats in early spring, I even take it in the inlets. I love this boat and won’t be getting rid of it but I am purchasing a 209 escape with 200hpdi Yamaha 2001. This boat was a close friend of my fathers and cared for well. I have researched the engine and have heard the good and the bad, it is being completely serviced by a Yamaha dealer as we speak. I’m excited because I think I’m getting a good deal on my first real boat. 

Just looking for any feedback on anyone who has fished on one or who has owned that boat. I’d like to venture out in the ocean a bit on nice days. Any feedback would be appreciated. Tight lines!!! 

I have this boat. But I don't have that motor.

I've run it through 2 feet of water in the back bays crabbing and fishing. I've run it through a 6 to 8 foot swell in Cold Spring Inlet. I've togged off of it in a 4 foot ocean swell. And I've run it through a 6 foot bay chop on the Chesapeake Bay. 

No one boat does everything perfect. But this boat does a lot of things well.

I've got a 175 and it will cruise at 28 knts at around 4200 rpms. 

Can't comment on the boat, but I can on the engine as I too have a pair of 01 HPDIs

They are great mills...but are finicky for clean fuel.

Filter maintenance is key.  First off, if you don't have a racor - get one, 10 micron.

Learn how to service your filters.  All three, annually.  You'll save yourself a bunch of cash doing it yourself, its not at all difficult.  If I have one gripe with Yam, its their parts pricing.  Even on stupid filters.  If interested, I can PM you a couple fairly priced sources.  The VST filter can be pulled and cleaned with carb cleaner.  The cannister and one in the plastic bowl should be replaced.

Learn to do that and really the only thing left is to change the L/U oil.  Again, easy.  Do that and the filters and you no longer have an annual need for the dealer.

I think the injectors should be on the PM schedule.  Maybe every 500 hours or so?  Unlike a four stroke, lean out a cylinder and you're done, so its worth the minimal time to pull them and send them out.  Again, a relatively easy job, over a 6 pack if they havn't been out before, you'll have a couple of sticky ones, just take your time and work them easy.  Yam will tell you you have to send them to flagship in FL, you don't.  There is a place in S jersey that does them for probably 1/4 of the price.

I don't do the ring-free thing, but I do shock them with seafoam every 50-75 hours to decarbon.  

I could go on and on...feel free to post up any questions you may have now...or down the road.  They can show you some quirks now and then but are overall great engines.

Edited by makorider

Congratulations. Great hull. I have a 1993 Escape with 1993 carbureted Yamaha 200HP. I use the Ring Free and the Yamalube religiously and the performance/lack of repairs reflect that. It is a big 20 footer and has higher freeboard than most. For my shakedown cruise, I took it from Marblehead to Cuttyhunk for  weekend! Have had it out on Stellwagen chasing Charlie too. I don't have a T-top and therefore have a slower drift than boats that do. Fishability vs shade is a difficult tradeoff but this is what I have. Easy to fish 360 degrees even when operating alone. You can work this hull very close to the rocks when you want...If any through hulls are delran/plastic, replace them with chromed bronze through hulls. (Delran breaks down in UV/sunlight. Mine snapped off in pieces when I twisted a long screwdriver in them...) I removed the Grady vinyl on the hull as soon as I got it. Look into Rejex for an alternative to waxing. I keep mine on a mooring, but do keep up on trailer maintenance. Great boat. Hope your particular engine is good to you as well.

Edited by nightfighter

My brother owned one for several years.  It was great boat as most grady's are.  Lots of storage, very comfortable ride, a bit wet at times but we fished stellwagon very regularly on it.  He had 200 Carbed Yammi as well.  Nice fast ride.   

Basically I'd echo everything that NIghtfighter said above.

Good Luck with the purchase

@nightfighter just reminded me of a biggie

You will be much happier running Penzoil semi-syn or the similar one in yellow jugs in the HPDI.  This is a commonly known fact.  If you do any amount of slow trolling, or extended idling, your plugs will not foul as they tend to do with Yamalube.  I do believe your 02 sensor and tube, after cleaning mine 2 or 3 times, tends to stay 'cleaner' for longer with the penzoil.

An added bonus is that it is cheaper than Yamalube (anything by anyone else is generally cheaper than something branded Yam) and widely available like at wallyworld

On 10/26/2020 at 11:24 PM, makorider said:

Can't comment on the boat, but I can on the engine as I too have a pair of 01 HPDIs

They are great mills...but are finicky for clean fuel.

Filter maintenance is key.  First off, if you don't have a racor - get one, 10 micron.

Learn how to service your filters.  All three, annually.  You'll save yourself a bunch of cash doing it yourself, its not at all difficult.  If I have one gripe with Yam, its their parts pricing.  Even on stupid filters.  If interested, I can PM you a couple fairly priced sources.  The VST filter can be pulled and cleaned with carb cleaner.  The cannister and one in the plastic bowl should be replaced.

Learn to do that and really the only thing left is to change the L/U oil.  Again, easy.  Do that and the filters and you no longer have an annual need for the dealer.

I think the injectors should be on the PM schedule.  Maybe every 500 hours or so?  Unlike a four stroke, lean out a cylinder and you're done, so its worth the minimal time to pull them and send them out.  Again, a relatively easy job, over a 6 pack if they havn't been out before, you'll have a couple of sticky ones, just take your time and work them easy.  Yam will tell you you have to send them to flagship in FL, you don't.  There is a place in S jersey that does them for probably 1/4 of the price.

I don't do the ring-free thing, but I do shock them with seafoam every 50-75 hours to decarbon.  

I could go on and on...feel free to post up any questions you may have now...or down the road.  They can show you some quirks now and then but are overall great engines.

Good post, what is the thought process on changing the 10 micron filter? End of season or beginning ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Good post, what is the thought process on changing the 10 micron filter? End of season or beginning ?

usually in the beginning.  Probably doesn't matter.  Oddly, after all of that filtration, you go and pull the HP pump or injector basket filters and somehow you will find some orange crap in them.  Go figure.

Edited by makorider