BigRedBearClaw

VR50 Long Term Review? Can you turn underwater?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I like to swim with light tackle during the summer or when I'm down in Florida. The Van Staal VR50 seems like the perfect reel, but is it too good to be true? I would rather save the weight if I could by buying a VR50 instead of a VSX150.

I know people complained about the VR line for a long time, and in general, they seem to have held up.

If I want a light reel I don't need to worry about swimming with, is there really only one choice? Would cycle between St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7MH and 9' Grumpy's Sandstorm (Jersey for life).

I'm not a VR owner for this exact reason. They just are not a true "watertight" system like the VS or VS reels. Great for splashes or the occasional dunk but they just aren't made for swimming or consistently turning the reel underwater.

I would look at the VS/VSX 100 or 150. They're small, powerful reels and are designed specifically for your intended applications.

12 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'm not a VR owner for this exact reason. They just are not a true "watertight" system like the VS or VS reels. Great for splashes or the occasional dunk but they just aren't made for swimming or consistently turning the reel underwater.

I would look at the VS/VSX 100 or 150. They're small, powerful reels and are designed specifically for your intended applications.

Yeah that's kind of what I was afraid of. Thanks. Anyone else?

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

First hand knowledge or just repeating what is posted on the forum? Plenty of posts saying the VR50 isn’t waterproof but few actual owners having issues with the reel. 

18 mins ago, MacCTD said:

First hand knowledge or just repeating what is posted on the forum? Plenty of posts saying the VR50 isn’t waterproof but few actual owners having issues with the reel. 

Yeah exactly, that's what I want to know! Are they advertising an IPX rating for it or anything? Should it be treated like a Penn Slammer or a VS/X model Van Staal? In your hand the thing just feels small, but it also feels like you can really fish the hell out of it. 

Pretty good problem to have. World's falling apart and we wonder what awesome reel we should buy. If you want light weight and waterproof go with the 50. Fish the hell out of it and service when needed. Hell get 2 so when you send one in you have a back up to fish with. If you want heavy and a tank of a reel that was built for what you want to do then VSX is your reel. Can't go wrong with either choice in my opinion. Caught this the other day. 8ft avid. Have fun deciding

IMG_20201016_141859399.jpg

9 mins ago, Crabba said:

Pretty good problem to have. World's falling apart and we wonder what awesome reel we should buy. If you want light weight and waterproof go with the 50. Fish the hell out of it and service when needed. Hell get 2 so when you send one in you have a back up to fish with. If you want heavy and a tank of a reel that was built for what you want to do then VSX is your reel. Can't go wrong with either choice in my opinion. Caught this the other day. 8ft avid. Have fun deciding

IMG_20201016_141859399.jpg

See I been fishing that rod with vsb 150 for like 7-8 years now and love it . Have taken many a 30s with It in deep fast water . Personally I’d say the 50 to small for it for my liking .. 

and too the OP just get a vs 100 or 150 you will be happy with it . Can get a dam near new second hand one for almost the same money as VR 

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

See I been fishing that rod with vsb 150 for like 7-8 years now and love it . Have taken many a 30s with It in deep fast water . Personally I’d say the 50 to small for it for my liking .. 

and too the OP just get a vs 100 or 150 you will be happy with it . Can get a dam near new second hand one for almost the same money as VR 

I actually just did that. Got a vsx150 on bst. If anyone else has anymore first hand experience with the vr50 especially the new black one, we'd all be interested in what it looked like after you opened it up for service after the season etc. 

2 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Knowledge from guys who fish the same way I do and want nothing to do with the VR. I went VS/VSX and never looked back.

I dunked and cranked mine this past spring.. Not a ton.. Water was cold so didn't want anything to do with it.. But it spent time underwater. 

Some grit in the line roller was the only thing I noticed 

Posted (edited)

You want the VSX 100. I have both and rarely use the VR. I have had issues with line lay and drag on the VR. VSX 100 no issues at all. 

Go and hold each reel side by side and you will see and feel the difference. 

Edited by Blank Disc

If you need or want to crank underwater, get the vsx100. I tried abusing the vr50 for a season and it didn't make it. Sent it in for service and its brand new again but I upgraded to the vsx100 and couldn't be happier. Will even be buying another vr50 soon for the boat so I think its still a great reel.

9 hours ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

Yeah exactly, that's what I want to know! Are they advertising an IPX rating for it or anything? Should it be treated like a Penn Slammer or a VS/X model Van Staal? In your hand the thing just feels small, but it also feels like you can really fish the hell out of it. 

I own a VR50, I have used it but not a lot and not very hard use but so far so good. Before I bought it I read a lot on here and could not find many owners who had problems, plenty of people speculating who didn't own the reel though saying it was not a good reel. 

I really like the size and feel of the reel, for me the smaller the better. 

The VR50 is sweet, its a tiny somewhat durable reel thats smooth enough, but do not under any circumstances reel it under water unless you want to service it right away. I used mine twice in the surf, not reeling it under water at all, just getting splashed and the insides got torched twice. Its a great reel despite its issues, but its not a VS

5 hours ago, MacCTD said:

I own a VR50, I have used it but not a lot and not very hard use but so far so good. Before I bought it I read a lot on here and could not find many owners who had problems, plenty of people speculating who didn't own the reel though saying it was not a good reel. 

I really like the size and feel of the reel, for me the smaller the better. 

Yeah man, it's an awesome little reel. It's just interesting because they're kind of ambiguous on the claim for waterproofing. That being said, it's a sweet little reel. Probably more than enough for most people. If I'm going to invest that kind of $ in equipment, I just want it to serve it's intended purpose. If I can swim out to sandbars and wade in the surf then great, if it's a $500 inshore reel that looks like a Van Staal. I'll pass.

I hear that Tsunami might be making an even smaller SaltX at some point. If they can make that a $300-350 reel that comes in @10oz, the VR50 might be in trouble.