New 706z pitting

Rate this topic

Domf

34 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

When any reel is first purchased it should be taken apart and checked to see if there is enough grease on all the internal components and surfaces. And add additional oil to all the bearing...

So you’d say that pitting happened since purchase? Or does it look like manufacturing imperfection?

Either way- think it’s an issue or just keep an eye on it?

57 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Like Sythe said.  I open every reel I purchase and add more grease or oil, as appropriate, to it before it ever sees use.  The Penn Z’s are very simple to service. 

Use Cal’s on the drag stack.  

And I will get some Cal's for drag maintenance. What would be the result of using my normal grease (corrosion block) on the drag stack?

21 mins ago, Domf said:

And I will get some Cal's for drag maintenance. What would be the result of using my normal grease (corrosion block) on the drag stack?

Not sure if that may lead to a sticky drag or not. 

I do believe Ive purchased Penn Torque Conventionals that had penn blue grease in the ht100 drag stack. I know I’ve purchased Quantum reels that had their red hot sauce on the drag washers. 

But, Cal’s is the gold standard in the drag stack. 

well,looking at this shot,I see there is black in the pits which tells me that they were there when built.

also the pits can be from the casting process,air bubbles.

as for the black being absent from the rest of it it could be from the machining process.

since it is not old and you cleaned/greased it normally,thats my take on it.

I'm no expert but,thats what you have shown here says to me.

keep this in your head for your next spinning reel purchase,always open it up and check for proper lubrication,always!!!

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,