t_man7

Tail wrap

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

What is your guys preferred style of tail wrap?

for the most part there is three styles that I have noticed.

A habs style tail wrap, The most common coil style tailwrap (here shown on a Lordship needlefish) and a “cinnamon bun” style tailwrap here shown on a BM.

what is the benefit of twisting the two wires together shown on the habs (first photo)?

Does the “cinnamon bun” style tail wrap almost act as second grommet?

95A23810-8641-4615-85DD-72FC3E7A3313.jpeg

4AA46A10-9DB4-4563-8DE2-F7EBDE4ED637.jpeg

7918CF7E-C596-4B88-B197-41DA5C556FC3.jpeg

I just want a tail wrap that is tight against the plug and keeping the lip secure. I don’t like  loose tail wraps. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My tail wraps are like what you see in the second picture two turns l like to keep a tight wire and warp.

Edited by LB

I don't think one is any better than the other. No the "bun" wrap doesn't act as a grommet. The grommet protects the wood while doing the wrap and provides a solid surface to wrap against so as to prevent the wire from spinning.

This is how I wrap my flaptails. It’s a challenge sometimes if you have not done it in a while. The originals used brass threaded rod. I have done them that way but too much work.  I needed something less complicated and stronger as I fish these things. 

A9AC3F87-2D8D-4F61-BF84-ACC794767E44.jpeg

5AE11E09-AE45-407B-BA57-60ABB067BF7E.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

2 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

This is how I wrap my flaptails. It’s a challenge sometimes if you have not done it in a while. The originals used brass threaded rod. I have done them that way but too much work.  I needed something less complicated and stronger as I fish these things. 

A9AC3F87-2D8D-4F61-BF84-ACC794767E44.jpeg

5AE11E09-AE45-407B-BA57-60ABB067BF7E.jpeg

I like the handmade tails.  Did you also make the piece under the grommet?

is there a difference in functionality using that piece u fabricated, I refer to the piece that mounts to the rear of the plug. Is this an effort to duplicate a particular builder? Would using split rings and barrel swivel have a different action? One plug I haven't really tried much and the one I did do I used the split ring swivel arrangement. It produced an interesting result but having no experience with this particular plug I really have no reference.

Yes the hanger for lack of a better word puts the flaptail down below the plug unlike coming out the ass with a swivel. More prop action. It’s the way Lido did their flaptails and gives a better action IMO. It’s basically a spook with a lot of splash. 

5AE99344-5D46-4CCD-9488-BA320F9C27C8.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

36 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Yes the hanger for lack of a better word puts the flaptail down below the plug unlike coming out the ass with a swivel. More prop action. It’s the way Lido did their flaptails and gives a better action IMO. It’s basically a spook with a lot of splash. 

5AE99344-5D46-4CCD-9488-BA320F9C27C8.jpeg

Those are beautiful and look like they catch well!

12 mins ago, SC said:

You lefty?

Haha. God no. I constantly give my wife crap for being lefty, uncoordinated. Lol. Only you would notice that Steve. I work going away from myself wrapping it counter clockwise. I make my first wrap by hand and then that loop goes in my bench vise and I finish the wrap going away from myself. It is just how I starting doing it and felt most natural. Also holding in a vice allows you to get a good tight wrap. I hate loose wire wraps, especially on metal lips.