nuub

Conv reel

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have an older Saltist 20 levelwind casting reel that is about 12 years old. It has seen a lot of use from NE to the Carolinas..

It is showing it's age and I am thinking about upgrading to a newer reel that may perform a little better with engineered technology. This reel is only for artificials so a competent level wind is a must. I have a saltist 20 w/o a levelwind that I use for bait, so I know for sure that I want one with a lw for artificials.

Any recommendations on something decent hopefully with a price point below $275. I have 2 basic Penn 9m's that we use on the pier only and they have been bulletproof. The higher priced reels don't look so well made...I'm all ears

I just went through this. The new Daiwa Saltist 20 HC is a great reel everyone loves if you don’t need centrifugal brakes or magnets. If you want more modern conveniences look at Daiwa Lexa 400 (which I have and like) or one of the Shimano Tranx or Okuma Komodo. Shimano Calcutta 400 or 700 would work nicely as well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, ecks said:

I just went through this. The new Daiwa Saltist 20 HC is a great reel everyone loves if you don’t need centrifugal brakes or magnets. If you want more modern conveniences look at Daiwa Lexa 400 (which I have and like) or one of the Shimano Tranx or Okuma Komodo. Shimano Calcutta 400 or 700 would work nicely as well. 

just what I was gonna type!

oh and uh,,,OP,,never judge a book by it's cover,,,,I know you've been around long enough to know that.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

You need a synchronized levelwind. Most LP reels LW disengage on cast and will choke line.

Look at round Abus or T Wing daiwa is a good start.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, ooeric said:

You need a synchronized levelwind. Most LP reels LW disengage on cast and will choke line.

Look at round Abus or T Wing daiwa is a good start.

The Komodos use non-disengaging/synchronized levelwinds, I believe it is the only lowpro that does.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

level winds.  i used to think i couldn't live without them for continual lure casting, but i was wrong when i took the LW off a Rival 15.