AKotoun

Waterproof shoes

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice on getting the right waterproof shoes. 

-Thinking winter trail walking with lots of mud and puddles. 

-Would like to stay away from boots if possible

Thanks!

every waterproof wil get wet in mud and water,only keep you dry,ruber or plastic.

i prefer micky mouse boots military,i use them for fishing and hunting,perfect for ice fishing with cleats.

The only waterproof shoe I think you can buy is "red wing worx" no it's not a feminine product,,,,,,:naughty: but it keeps you dry and fresh all day,,,,:beatin:no leaks,,,,,,,:D

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know you said no boots but I love these.  They are comfortable.

Edited by TimS
We don't allow commercial links here - please do not post them - thanks.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, snag777 said:

every waterproof wil get wet in mud and water,only keep you dry,ruber or plastic.

i prefer micky mouse boots military,i use them for fishing and hunting,perfect for ice fishing with cleats.

Way back when I was developing hiking boots out of Italy, we had an interesting conversation about goretex...

while they have strict rules on breathability and standards to maintain their license reputation requirements, the problem is that your foot perspiration is so high that with leather, lining, counters and all the materials required to make a boot pretty much hinders the breathability of the membrane at the toe areas where most perspiration occurs

hardly any manufacturers make hiking boots out of full grain leather any more... even those historic brands like Scarpa, Dolomite, Asoló and the likes... but the newer man made boots are supposed to be better in breathability...

@ OP

if you want to invest in a good pair of boots for light trekking that will last you a while, take a look at those brands, most of them are based out of montebelluba italy and that town is reputed to have some of the oldest and best hiking boot factories.

youll find many have outsourced to cheaper labor...

wear good moisture wicking socks and make sure it has ample ankle support and good outsoles...

as for staying dry... don’t know how dry it’ll keep you on a 6” trekking boot... minus 1.5 to 2” for tongue gusset cut outs ... even with goretex, you’re waterproof to bout 4” puddles...

I still have a pair of scarpa full leather upper that I treasure as I’ve traveled around the world with em...

Yes you said no boots. I don't like boots also. However, I did find this particular shoe very interesting. Because it is made of two different materials allowing the top of the boot to literally fold down to your ankles. These are boots, but you can drive, walk, and all with it folded down. When you know you are in an area of puddles and water, takes a second to roll up and you are good to go. 

HISEA Men's Rain Boots Waterproof Durable Insulated Rubber Neoprene Outdoor Muck Hunting Boots for Winter Snow Arctic

I use these on every single fishing trip of mine, whether I am going to the beach, or fishing off a pier. 

Good luck with your search

I got these water proof, very light weight hiking boots, with a large square toe box, that makes them very roomy and comfortable for

very short money at dsw recently and have been very happy with them. I use them every early morning when  I run my gsd and when we take him

on hikes. They have discounts all the time. I think I paid about $50.00 all told.

As a side note around Christmas time if you get a gift certificate from them to give to your feminine family members they give you good value on the certificate itself and then give you coupons on top to go with it, so you you end up with a great value. There are very few women who wouldn't be happy with a very large selection  of shoes and a bunch of money to spend on them, which you got a great deal on. Just saying.....

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 2.19.41 PM.png

I just got the muck boots.  Different heights, mine are ankle height.  Love em.  Comfortable for all day, wear, dry and warm.  

On 11/1/2020 at 2:32 PM, Seakarp said:

I got these water proof, very light weight hiking boots, with a large square toe box, that makes them very roomy and comfortable for

very short money at dsw recently and have been very happy with them. I use them every early morning when  I run my gsd and when we take him

on hikes. They have discounts all the time. I think I paid about $50.00 all told.

As a side note around Christmas time if you get a gift certificate from them to give to your feminine family members they give you good value on the certificate itself and then give you coupons on top to go with it, so you you end up with a great value. There are very few women who wouldn't be happy with a very large selection  of shoes and a bunch of money to spend on them, which you got a great deal on. Just saying.....

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 2.19.41 PM.png

I got a pair of these water proof high top hikers and they are great. If you aren't walking crazy distances under armour has some muck type boots that wont rub your heel off but I like the waterproof high top hikers for longer trail walks. 

If you don't want 6'+ high boots forget waterproof.  Wear a pair of breathable trail shoes and wools socks.  Wool keeps its insulation properties even when wet.  Bring an extra pair of socks on long hikes so you don't get blisters.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, nedakjohn said:

I just got the muck boots.  Different heights, mine are ankle height.  Love em.  Comfortable for all day, wear, dry and warm.  

like mucks... but wouldn't you want more support and better fit for walking trails?