Johnsmyname

Lure Hardware Quality

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’m trying to upgrade any weak links in my gear and have all new split rings, hooks, etc. My question is which brands are known to use quality bits and which ones def need replacement? Also, aside from pulling and smashing on new lures, is there a good way to tell or anything to look for to determine visually? 

I was able to look up Super Strike and 247 Lures components and they are def gtg.

I read that Deadly Dick and Cotton Cordell need replacing. 

What about Tsunami, SP Minnow, Kastmaster, Yo-Zuri...

I never change any hardware on any lures that I purchase until they need changing due to heavy rust or breakage... What I do is contact the lure manufacturer and condemn their products if I see a lack of quality.. Why would I want to purchase something and then right out of the box rebuild it???  Many people do and I find that to be idiotic !!!...

Super strike is good right out of the package.

Small lure builders tend to use quality components And the big companies who manufacture their wares  offshore tend to use cheaper components.

I don’t usually swap hardware until the factory components get damaged.

The only exception is if I get a great deal on lures which are built using cheaper, lighter components.

That’s the only time I’ll change out the hardware on a brand new lure; if it’s cost effective for me to do so.

Quite a few lures used in saltwater were originally designed for smaller species or even targeted at freshwater fish.  Rebel Jumpin minnow for example.  Some lots of 7 inch Redfins come with weak hooks.  Once you see any rust on split rings you’ll need to change them out.  

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

I never change any hardware on any lures that I purchase until they need changing due to heavy rust or breakage... What I do is contact the lure manufacturer and condemn their products if I see a lack of quality.. Why would I want to purchase something and then right out of the box rebuild it???  Many people do and I find that to be idiotic !!!...

A teacher calling people idiots? I Object.

I had a Striper straighten a hook on an SP Minnow. I now change out the hooks before fishing them. Idiotic? I think not. 

I often change hooks, but also because I prefer inlines over trebles. I HATE tail trebles, sometimes I keep the belly treble or upgrade the belly treble. The original sp minnow components are pretty awful.

This is why you change your hardware guys.. 

The plug works but hardware doesn't. 

It's not Really that difficult and if it means going home catching vs. Losing fish im changing the hardware as soon as the lure comes out of the package.

20201017_180556.jpg

Unfortunately, some lures do come with hardware, right out of the box, that is too light or undersized to handle big bass and bluefish. What’s idiotic is that the manufacturer makes a quality lure body, but, then cheaps out on the split rings and hooks. That does not make sense. Shame on that company.

No one really wants to spend money on a new lure and know that even before they use it for the first time that they will have to change out the hardware. They are just improving their odds of landing the big one by using better hooks and split rings.

John, when I see that the original hardware is obviously not up to the job- I usually replace it with VMC hooks and Spro split rings. That is just my preference. Others will recommend different brands.

Have fun-

Thank you for the info guys.

I have a bunch of VMC, Gamakatsu hooks and Spro slits. For me to buy a pile of hardware isn’t expensive and as most of you have said, changing out cheap (but quality) bits to make a lure 100% confident is worth it to me. If I lose one large fish because of a **** hook, I’d gladly spend $10-20 replacing every single hook I don’t absolutely know is gtg out of box.