amh

Western Mass Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Looking to get into fly fishing this spring. Any suggestions on length / wt for a rod. 
I was thinking 7’6” 4 wt to get to some of the more remote / cramped places. Are there downsides to the smaller rod?

A 7'6" rod will service you well in small streams and rivers.  But it may hamper you if you ever fish ponds or an area that requires a long, delicate cast.

You may get more responses on SOLs  fly fishing forum. :)

If your planning to do mostly small water brush busting you choice isn't a bad one . Myself I prefer a much smaller outfit but that's just me . Sub 6 foot rods aren't for everyone . Since your new to fly fishing might I suggest suggest investing in some instruction. I wish I had this option when I first started out. Either way you'll need learn a few cast's besides an overhead cast. The roll cast the side arm and a bow and arrow cast , You fish enough small waters you'll get it . Tight spots make it tough to deliver a fly and sometimes just dapping your fly into an opening is all you got . You'll appreciate a longer rod if it comes to that . Good luck 

11 hours ago, amh said:

Looking to get into fly fishing this spring. Any suggestions on length / wt for a rod. 
I was thinking 7’6” 4 wt to get to some of the more remote / cramped places. Are there downsides to the smaller rod?

If you are just starting to learn to cast you should consider a beginner outfit. A good one I often recommend is the kit from Scientific Anglers. They sell four complete outfits named after the target species of fish. The Bears Den Fly shop in Taunton has the Trout model which retails for $120 and includes everything you need except the flies. One reason to consider these beginner outfits is the rod blank action is geared to learning to cast a fly rod. Keep in mind most fly fisherman ultimately end up owning several fly rod sizes so you can pick up the referenced rod once you get the casting down.