MJOS617

Yet another wind knot thread

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, MJOS617 said:

I only trust three casts before switching to something that will pull hard on the cast. Anything beyond is wind knot city. 

Whenever I fish any kind of popper or walking the dog lure, I hold the line between my forefinger and thumb and put tension on it during the entire retrieve. I even do this on rod/reel combos that don't have wind knot issues. Keeping that tension on the line makes sure the line gets on reel properly, to prevent possible wind knots.

Edited by zak-striper

I’ve tried so many different lines and the end result for me is regular power pro or jbraid x4....the soft slick lines just give me issues eventually.....yozuri uper braid worked well for me also.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:30 PM, zak-striper said:

I hold the line between my forefinger and thumb and put tension on it during the entire retrieve

I cannot get this to work on the walk the dog retrieve. It's too awkward with a surf rod. 

I was with the user error camp until recently. Loved this ultra carrier Fireline. It casts better than any line I've used. I even over filled one spool and got zero knots because I pull out some line after manually closing the bail for each cast. I do fish spooks alot. THEN came the occasional wind knot - only when I didn't pull out line. Progressed to wind knots at random. Started watching the line more carefully.

SO -a new one for me-there was a tiny fluff area deeper in the spool that would pull some line out. Problem solved. Thought I had to change lines.

This past week each time out min. 3 hours no stop casting, casting everything except the kitchen sink, not one birdie or fish, for a while on one of the days winds gusting to 15 MPH still OK no wind knots outfit 9ft med. Lt rod reel VS100 20lb Power Pro. l,m not say l will never get a wind knot and VS reels are known to have a bad line lay that has all changed since l put the line on with a hump in the center now l get a flat line lay so this year so far no wind knot VS reels have a fast oscillation you get a cross pattern line lay kind of locks the line under each layer. 

My Shimano reels have a slow oscillation the line lays right next to each other and that could be a problem there are times when you use a lure with on resisting in the water l will get wind knots,

l don't look down after a cast or pull my line after a cast l just reload and fire away l will check every so often to make sure there is no loop sticking out with a bailed reel, with a MPU reel that doesn't happen.

So far this whole week, not one wind knot. This is my one lay on my reels the one upfront has new line it needs to be used and it will look like the reel in the background.

20200529_171713.jpg.5c636ef8542535f36a560b80059a6a33.jpg