MJOS617

Yet another wind knot thread

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I normally have minimal issues with anything over an ounce but when trying to walk the dog with spooks I have got to the point where I only trust three casts before switching to something that will pull hard on the cast. Anything beyond is wind knot city. 

Looking for help on what I am doing wrong.  

Retrieve on 1 oz spooks is twitch down and to the left, cranking after a twitch. All situations are back bay with minimal surf. 

Setup: Saltist 4000, Trophy II 9 ft 1-4 oz, 20lb J-braid 8x with Seagur Blue label 30lb fluoro. 

5 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I thought this was going to be a fly-fishing question.  

Is the wind knot in the fluoro leader or the braid?

Braid.  

My guess would be while you're working your surface lure, you're getting uneven tension on your line as it packs on the spool.

I used to fish spooks often back in the day using mono, so line tension wasn't so much of an issue.  But braid is far less forgiving.

Walking the dog creates uneven tension, and even some slack line upon the retrieve. Even a small amount of slack line on a spool will cause braid to come off your reel erratically, leading to wind knots.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

27 mins ago, MJOS617 said:

I normally have minimal issues with anything over an ounce but when trying to walk the dog with spooks I have got to the point where I only trust three casts before switching to something that will pull hard on the cast. Anything beyond is wind knot city. 

Looking for help on what I am doing wrong.  

Retrieve on 1 oz spooks is twitch down and to the left, cranking after a twitch. All situations are back bay with minimal surf. 

Setup: Saltist 4000, Trophy II 9 ft 1-4 oz, 20lb J-braid 8x with Seagur Blue label 30lb fluoro. 

l tried J braid 8X 20 & 30lb last year after 2 days lost 2 topwater lures endless birdes, the line went into the trash can and back to Power Pro the J braid line has nobody to it the line is like fluffy coils will come off a couple of coils at once and you have a birdy.

l have almost the same outfit as you 9ft surf rod that l built 3//4 to 2-1/2oz it was a steelhead blank a VS150 l either fish it with 20 or 30 Power Pro, lures from 1/2 to 1-1/2 pushing it with 2ozs oz 75% of my fishing is topwater poppers pencil poppers and spooks ranging from 5/8 to 1-1/2ozs.

Your outfit is right on rod and reel :th: end your headache try Power Pro its cheap 15.00 or just change your line to another brand to prove a point.

Yo-Zuri Super Braid looks promising just spooled up a spare spool with 30lb looks like Power Pro and l had no problems yet as far as wind knots (birdes) that line was even cheaper than PP at Dicks.

lf you change you line and our problem was resolved let us know.

Also don't overfill. 

15 mins ago, LB said:

l tried J braid 8X 20 & 30lb last year after 2 days lost 2 topwater lures endless birdes, the line went into the trash can and back to Power Pro the J braid line has nobody to it the line is like fluffy coils will come off a couple of coils at once and you have a birdy.

l have almost the same outfit as you 9ft surf rod that l built 3//4 to 2-1/2oz it was a steelhead blank a VS150 l either fish it with 20 or 30 Power Pro, lures from 1/2 to 1-1/2 pushing it with 2ozs oz 75% of my fishing is topwater poppers pencil poppers and spooks ranging from 5/8 to 1-1/2ozs.

Your outfit is right on rod and reel :th: end your headache try Power Pro its cheap 15.00 or just change your line to another brand to prove a point.

Yo-Zuri Super Braid looks promising just spooled up a spare spool with 30lb looks like Power Pro and l had no problems yet as far as wind knots (birdes) that line was even cheaper than PP at Dicks.

lf you change you line and our problem was resolved let us know.

Also don't overfill. 

I'll second the j braid X8 dislike, but raise the j braid x4.  It's very similar to original Power Pro but cheaper haven't had any problems.  Either way x4 or Power Pro and don't over spool.

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

My guess would be while you're working your surface lure, you're getting uneven tension on your line as it packs on the spool.

That’s what I figured. With pencils I am able to keep tension on the spool by pinching the line as a retrieve but it would be too awkward with the down low retrieve. Would you think going with a heavier spook would improve things or is it all about the braid vs mono?

8 hours ago, LB said:
10 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

l tried J braid 8X 20 & 30lb last year after 2 days lost 2 topwater lures endless birdes. 

8 hours ago, ne_dan said:

I’ll second the j braid X8 dislike,

I had previously switched from Kast King and liked the softness of J braid. Found tying knots with it was easier. Guess that also translates into tying wind knots. I can totally see how the line lay is wicked fluffy, though. Will see about PP and get back to you. Did make sure not over fill. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

I had previously switched from Kast King and liked the softness of J braid. Found tying knots with it was easier. Guess that also translates into tying wind knots. I can totally see how the line lay is wicked fluffy, though. Will see about PP and get back to you. Did make sure not over fill. 

That was the problem that l had to fluffy, the problem ended when l went back to my old line Power Pro

l wouldn't even use it on my baitcasting outfit.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, MJOS617 said:

That’s what I figured. With pencils I am able to keep tension on the spool by pinching the line as a retrieve but it would be too awkward with the down low retrieve. Would you think going with a heavier spook would improve things or is it all about the braid vs mono?

Thanks. 

the spining reels spool is not desighn for braid,the top lip off spool should be 1/4" biger,i tested 4 defrent braid 10 defrent reels.all off them has same problem.and i am talking tight line on spool.

only solution

buy biger reel with more line capacity and spool 1/4" from top off lip off spool.this should prevent to riping the line from spool to cose loops.it is not wing knots,it is riping line out off spool with weight off lure.

Edited by snag777

10 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Weird. I’m the opposite. The J Braid zero wind knots. Power Pro wind knot city

if you do everithing right,only what come is how much line you put on spool.

I'm following this even though I don't use braid. My son does though on his bait casters.

So when you guys say "wind knot", are you actually talking about backlashes aka bird nests?

To a flyfisherman, a wind knot is something else.

45 mins ago, Milky said:

I'm following this even though I don't use braid. My son does though on his bait casters.

So when you guys say "wind knot", are you actually talking about backlashes aka bird nests?

To a flyfisherman, a wind knot is something else.

*wind" knots are when coils of braid come off the spool in one shot. It's a headache for sure. Most of the time lures are thrown into oblivion :howdy:

Power pro with its slick coating I think makes it less prone to that problem. Sometimes a few dollars more makes a big difference. Cheap is just that , cheap. 

I've been a big fan of power pro since it came out. It's all I use. However, the power pro slick just didn't work for me.  Two nights, and I ripped it off and placed it in the trash.   Funny how different things work for different guys.