bob_G

Chesapeake young of the year index for 2020

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Maryland just released the results of their annual Chesapeake yoy (young of the year) survey, and they weren't encouraging.   The index returned a 2.5.  Significantly lower than 11.5 which is considered healthy.   So the future of stripers continues to look gloomy.   Nothing to see here folks, now get out there and let's fill that quota.

When looking at the chart it almost seems that some of the higher years are outliers and probably shouldn't have been used for the average.  Either way its not looking good

striped-bass-spawning-chesapeake.jpg

But let's keep this slot so that we can massacre the largest classes we still have left as soon as they turn 28' versus letting them breed for several cycles.  1 @ 36" is better then the slot but still may not be enough.  They should be focused on protecting the strong class of schoolies we have versus figuring out which system allows for the greatest slaughter.....

Good thing I fished like a maniac for 30 years and kind of quenched my thirst for fishing for SB. The hordes will eat what’s left. 

2014 class is about to reach slot size and be massacred. Why is this fishery so poorly managed? Shut it down or make it 1 fish @34"+ to give the 2014 class a chance to breed. Such a shame. 

What can I do to help? What organization is trying to protect and preserve Stripers because something needs to be done.

Sad to think about where this fishery is now compared to 25 years ago. When i was in high school my friends and I would walk the canal at night and would and could catch fish at any rip line. There was ample bait and lots of fish to keep us satisfied. Anecdotal, yes. We also could go to beaches, coves, bays, it didn't seem to matter. Not sure what was the overriding cause, but it's obviously worse. Compared to now where my 11yo son has very little interest in fishing for stripers because I have yet to get him on a good bite to get that bug. 

42 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

2014 class is about to reach slot size and be massacred. Why is this fishery so poorly managed? Shut it down or make it 1 fish @34"+ to give the 2014 class a chance to breed. Such a shame. 

What can I do to help? What organization is trying to protect and preserve Stripers because something needs to be done.

Google saltwaterguidesassociation.com.  They are one of the few that understands the more fish that are around, the better off everyone will be.

45 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Good thing I fished like a maniac for 30 years and kind of quenched my thirst for fishing for SB. The hordes will eat what’s left. 

I feel the same. Only trouble is 3 of my sons love to fish for them including my 14 year old who still depends on me to bring him places to catch some. I could be satisfied with my glory days but I want to be able to see them enjoy at least a semblance of what I had.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

They should be focused on protecting the strong class of schoolies we have versus figuring out which system allows for the greatest slaughter.....

Figuring out which system allows for the greatest slaughter has always been the way that ASMFC has managed the fishery, since the moratorium ended---the marching orders are "maximum sustainable yield". 

6 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Figuring out which system allows for the greatest slaughter has always been the way that ASMFC has managed the fishery, since the moratorium ended---the marching orders are "maximum sustainable yield". 

That's how it seems to me too.

The initial recovery was so dang impressive and successful it just seems a crying shame to throw that success away. 

This isn’t hard to figure out.  We all intuitively know the answer.  Just shut it down!!!  Complete moratorium.  But I doubt it will happen...

9 hours ago, Tfole said:

This isn’t hard to figure out.  We all intuitively know the answer.  Just shut it down!!!  Complete moratorium.  But I doubt it will happen...

Non-starter unless there is a total crash, a la early 80s. 

I think the big spike YOY years are what sustains the population, not the average. Right now it seems like all that's out there is the 2014 class (24-28") and the early 2000s classes (35 lbs+ now) with some micros sprinkled in. The fishery needs big YOY classes every 5 years or so to keep the whole thing going.

22 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It's worse than that. The ASMFC, which is the only authority managing striped bass, isn't even subject to the Magnesson- Stevens act, which is where the MSY concept comes from. 

52% of stripped bass filled for the year circle hooks really helped NICE! https://www.massmarinefisheries.net/quota/landings_2020_167680.htm    Commercial guys are not all bad fishermen in reality they are very good fisherman but they could only fill 52%  down from 67% last year, down from 88.9% 2018 so 2017 was the last time it was filled. at 102.8%.... so next year is 40% filled ? 60% drop in 4 years and NOTHING BEHIND IT! :) GOOD LUCK!