Mr. Bigdeal

Julian's Bait & Tackle...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Byron Layor:

"If anyone has fished the Jersey Shore from the Highlands area they were more than likely to have gotten bait through the years at Julian's on route 36. Well sorry to say Joe Julian passed away earlier this week ,he was 94 and one of the good guys in the fishing community. I have shopped there for over 50 years, R.I.P Joe".

Joe was a Legend......RIP.
Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Wow.RIP Joe...this is is my home tackle shop. Joe has been a staple to the bayshore fishing scene and was innovative in the world of Bunker spoons..Quick story I remember about 3 years ago, my waders had a couple holes in em so I decided to go grab a pair to fish in that day. Went over to Julians, got the first pair that fit. They were $100. Joe was getting used to the new computer system and punched in $10. I noticed on my bank account later when I logged in. I said "Joe, you had punched in 10 and forgot the other zero." He smiled and said, "thanks for your honesty son. Go get yourself a lure and a couple of t shirts." I've caught more fish in that blood stained Julians' tshirt than any other shirt I have. He will be missed around the shop.

30 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Byron Layor:

"If anyone has fished the Jersey Shore from the Highlands area they were more than likely to have gotten bait through the years at Julian's on route 36. Well sorry to say Joe Julian passed away earlier this week ,he was 94 and one of the good guys in the fishing community. I have shopped there for over 50 years, R.I.P Joe".

Joe was a Legend......RIP.

R.I.P.  Joe was a legend my go to stops on the way to the marina. I have gone there for bait and tackle since I was a teenager. back then his mom worked in the shop and she tied the rigs.

Joe was my go to guy when I had to service one of my Penn reels...never charged me for my walk in servicing...I will miss seeing him at his chair,,RIP Joe...

On 10/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, joefishnj21 said:

Wow.RIP Joe...this is is my home tackle shop. Joe has been a staple to the bayshore fishing scene and was innovative in the world of Bunker spoons..Quick story I remember about 3 years ago, my waders had a couple holes in em so I decided to go grab a pair to fish in that day. Went over to Julians, got the first pair that fit. They were $100. Joe was getting used to the new computer system and punched in $10. I noticed on my bank account later when I logged in. I said "Joe, you had punched in 10 and forgot the other zero." He smiled and said, "thanks for your honesty son. Go get yourself a lure and a couple of t shirts." I've caught more fish in that blood stained Julians' tshirt than any other shirt I have. He will be missed around the shop.

Great story! I never ran into him but have been there a bunch of times over the years. RIP Joe! 

I built several Fenglass rods back in the early 80s, including my favorite inshore blank the 847.  Fast forward to the 2000s and I broke  a perfection guide on it. A hard to find stainless american made piece of hardware. I knew only one person would have something like that. American made,  tough and hard to find says it all. Godspeed to Joe

Very sad to hear this.  I was curious because I didn't see him lately.  I can remember being in his shop way back in the heydays of bluefish chumming on the Shrewsbury Rocks.  The shop was across the highway.  Rt 36 was a single lane each way with no divider back the.  4 AM on a Saturday or Sunday in July or August was like New Years Eve in Times Square.  The place would be mobbed with guys hauling out the gold colored round 5 gallon tins of bunker chum.

Joe Julian is truly a legend.  RIP.