yogiiiboy

Suggestions on an Inshore rod for out front on the beach

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Looking for some ideas on the lighter Inshore models that can still do the job out front in the surf and still hit 100+ yards with lures up to 1 ounce.....

 

Thanks......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all 1 ounce lures are the same.   

 

I purchased a 8' ODM DNA and can throw 1oz bucktail 270' in the driveway when calm. Using Stradic 4000 with 20lb 832.

 

Most fish I catch on the beach are only 100' or less so never really needed the distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love my St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” MHF rated up to 1.25oz paired with a Stradic 5000FK spooled with 20# braid.  It started out as my Albie rod and I will try it out for tog jigging this fall as well.  This season, I’ve found that I’ve been grabbing it over my 9’6” surf rod for fishing off the beach and exposed reef at low tide.  Granted, I’m not really fishing in real surf as I’m in the Western Sound in CT.  This setup throwing a 1oz Yozuri Hydro Pencil spook has been a deadly topwater combo for me this summer.  It’s a wonderfully light weight set up that casts a country mile!

Edited by Water Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, TJL65 said:

Not all 1 ounce lures are the same.   

 

I purchased a 8' ODM DNA and can throw 1oz bucktail 270' in the driveway when calm. Using Stradic 4000 with 20lb 832.

 

Most fish I catch on the beach are only 100' or less so never really needed the distance. 

True......but when i want/need to hit those fish over the first bar, it'll be nice to know we'll have the capability!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, Water Dog said:

I love my St. Croix Avid Inshore 7’6” MHF rated up to 1.25oz paired with a Stradic 5000FK spooled with 20# braid.  It started out as my Albie rod and I will try it out for tog jigging this fall as well.  This season, I’ve found that I’ve been grabbing it over my 9’6” surf rod for fishing off the beach and exposed reef at low tide.  Granted, I’m not really fishing in real surf as I’m in the Western Sound in CT.  This setup throwing a 1oz Yozuri Hydro Pencil spook has been a deadly topwater combo for me this summer.  It’s a wonderfully light weight set up that casts a country mile!

Yes....i have the same rod but in MH (3/8 - 3/4 oz.) paired with a 2500 Clash spooled with 10 lb FIreline Ultra 8 Crystal as my summer fluke surf combo.  Love that so much i started using it on the beach early fall over my surf 9' CTS and 10'6" Century sticks.  Just want to see what i can get away with out there this fall for possible stripers up to 20 lbs. with a light Inshore combo that can still punch some lures.  I do have a 8' Avid Inshore MHF (1/2-2 oz.) that i may want to end up pairing with a VR50 when i eventually get one.

Edited by yogiiiboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Looking for some ideas on the lighter Inshore models that can still do the job out front in the surf and still hit 100+ yards with lures up to 1 ounce.....

 

Thanks......

Thats a hell of a toss,,I like my 8' Tsunami Airwave with a 360 Slammer, very light weight setup. Bought the rod on the BST, guy said he took a 60lb fish (drum IIRC) with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, richie c said:

Thats a hell of a toss,,I like my 8' Tsunami Airwave with a 360 Slammer, very light weight setup. Bought the rod on the BST, guy said he took a 60lb fish (drum IIRC) with it.

Let me say this.......my Avid Inshore 7'6" MF, can sling a 3/4 oz. Kastmasters 100 yards no problem ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the avid 7’6. I have a sustain 4000 on it.

 

fished for albies next to a buddy that was using a 10ft ODM with vs150 he couldn’t believe I was almost out casting him in distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

I do have a 8' Avid Inshore MHF (1/2-2 oz.)

You already have the rod...

 

Just put any current Shimano C5000 “Long Stroke Spool” reel on it with 20# 832 and you are good to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inshore said:

You already have the rod...

 

Just put any current Shimano C5000 “Long Stroke Spool” reel on it with 20# 832 and you are good to go!

Would the Ultegra C5000XG FB suffice??

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Would the Ultegra C5000XG FB suffice??

It will work. It’s nothing more than a polymer body Stradic FK. I have (2) 1k that I use for panfish, nice lil reels!

 

A Stradic FL would be a nice upgrade tho... Alum body, X—Protect and long stroke spool...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, Inshore said:

It will work. It’s nothing more than a polymer body Stradic FK. I have (2) 1k that I use for panfish, nice lil reels!

 

A Stradic FL would be a nice upgrade tho... Alum body, X—Protect and long stroke spool...

 

Yeah... the body was a concern..........as stated, i'd like to eventually put a VR50 on it and have a real nice outfit for when i want to travel light out front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.