Stopsign32v

Can you change/modify painted plastic lures?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Does anyone do lures if you send them to them? I'm not 100% confident in my skills which are 0. How would you remove the paint that is already there without damaging the plastic?

Edit, I see alcohol bath works.

Check out Redingfin (Ron Redington) on Instagram. He modifies Redfins, Bombers, SP minnows etc. He makes them through wired, upgrades the hooks, loads them, and paints them of needed. I bought a Bomber and a Redfin off of him and they are great. You can send him your own plugs or buy any modified plugs he has available.

4E4DAC03-B114-439A-8A2F-C6B42A47C0DA.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wait. A dude has a side gig in which people mail him lures they purchased-not hand made plugs- plastic lures. He spray paints them in his garage/basement then mails them back. For a fee!

i think I found a new career. 

Edited by jmlandru
Edit

5 hours ago, jmlandru said:

Wait. A dude has a side gig in which people mail him lures they purchased-not hand made plugs- plastic lures. He spray paints them in his garage/basement then mails them back. For a fee!

i think I found a new career. 

He also will load and thru wire them.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:49 AM, Stopsign32v said:

Well I would like to take these

s-l1600.jpg

And remove the paint on them and apply bright chartreuse on the back and belly of them. Is that even possible?

if I were you,i'd try it with 1 first and fish another one as it is,then you can compare.

save the 3rd one as a backup incase you need either the factory color or need to repaint it the color you did the first one in.

HH

Just paint over it with a spray can, not rocket science. Or keep it as is, any paint job you or anyone else gives it will not have a significant impact on the fish it catches.

8 hours ago, chitala383 said:

He also will load and thru wire them.

Redingfin. He did a redfin for me. It was eh. Looked nice, through wire was nice but it was "loaded" with expanding foam, there was epoxy residue on the swivels and it casts like a potato chip. Swims OKAY. But I'd rather just use a stock redfin or SP.

I load mine with steel bb's. I use a magnet to hold them in place, then fill the body with expanding foam. Mine cast like a missile.

I've never got more than 3 uses out of a can of great stuff, how do you guys keep the nozzle from clogging? (I push a wire or nail in there).

I appreciate the OP looking to customize the lures, but after the postage, time and materials...feel like he should just buy some lures off a custom builder or spray paint them on his own. Maybe set up a trade- offer somebody some fishing items in return for the paint jobs?

17 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I load mine with steel bb's. I use a magnet to hold them in place, then fill the body with expanding foam. Mine cast like a missile.

are the bbs a  layer across the bottom, or concentrated in the middle near hook hanger?

I load them so there's some bbs about 3/4 of the way back, and some towards the front. I load them so they float nose up at about a 45° angle