Springer

Shock knot

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Tried to tie the Albright again.  Too much dexterity for my clumsy fingers.  Bristol/Noname I tie in my sleep.

These knots were used for large to small diameter lines

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to run Bimini to double uni. I never trusted spider hitches. I seemed to be able to break them much easier. I had some problems with shock knot failures too that I think came from extra turns on the main line.

Smart folks pointed me towards 3 turns on shock 4 turns on main line and the failure problem went away. I did seem to end up retying a bunch because of the legs being different lengths but that was kind of aesthetic 

A couple years ago I was on my knee tying a Bimini on the beach and a couple buddies who catch more pier and surf drum than most folks on the planet said, “What the h*** are you doing?” One came over. Put the rod in the spike. Spun the 20 turn Bimini and tied it off on the reel handle. Three turn No-Name and was done in less than a minute. If your line is good, that knot is strong enough. 

Edit - That is 20 pound ProSpec and 60 pound Big Game

Edited by CJS

Blood knot or dropper loop then melt the tag ends. This good for 17-20lbs to 50-60lbs or 12-14 to 40-50lbs mono lines. If the line diameter differences are too big it’s tricky to tie and might as well use fancy knot such as slim beauty. FG for braided line to mono. Good luck!

Another vote for a (short) bimini to no name. Short bimini is easy to tie in your hand by just rotating your hand to make the turns while spreading your fingers to apply pressure to the wraps. Then hook to reel handle or other fixed object to keep loops from unwinding, half hitch to lock down each leg of the loop and then a clinch knot to lock the tag end. Small, low profile and very strong.

Three turn surgeons loop with no name.  I want the 50 lb shock leader of the no name knot on the outside of the surgeon loop.  The Albright knot puts the smaller diameter running line on the outside of the knot, on top of your looped shock leader.  No bueno... :)

Edited by GoBow

Switched to the FG knot a few years back for shock leader and I'm never going back. Check out Sport Fishing Magazine in which professional fisherman Adrian Gray ties the FG knot.

Since I started using Tapered Leader with Double Uni my search for effective leader knots has ended. This simple combo results in a small, strong, easy to tie knot and I've never once had breakage or knot/guide issues.

Rovex-Surf-Tapered-Shock-Leaders-5pk-ALL-VARIETIES-Fishing-tackle

Edited by roughneck3

Iv thought about those, i have some of the tapered given to me to try, but never use it... i retie and respool too often, i go through a 1/4 spool of 50lb shock a season.

I also check my knots and snell every other cast

23 mins ago, roughneck3 said:

Since I started using Tapered Leader with Double Uni my search for effective leader knots has ended. This simple combo results in a small, strong, easy to tie knot and I've never once had breakage or knot/guide issues.

Rovex-Surf-Tapered-Shock-Leaders-5pk-ALL-VARIETIES-Fishing-tackle

Thanks for posting this. I had often thought about using a reversed, heavy fly leader for the same purpose. Good to know there is a specific product for this. 

Is the taper continuous?  I don't think I would want 45 ft of leader. Could you cut 7 or 8 feet off either end and still be in 18 lb or 60 lb area of leader?

56 mins ago, wok167 said:

Thanks for posting this. I had often thought about using a reversed, heavy fly leader for the same purpose. Good to know there is a specific product for this. 

Is the taper continuous?  I don't think I would want 45 ft of leader. Could you cut 7 or 8 feet off either end and still be in 18 lb or 60 lb area of leader?

The taper runs through most of its entire length, very gradual over the 45'. I run #15 Big Game and it makes for a very small knot and smooth transition into the heavier shock part of the leader, but also gives plenty length on the heavy end to allow for the actual "shock" portion of the leader on the reel. I've been very impressed with the performance since switching to these leaders.

Just to add this. If I'm down for more than 1 day I re-tie my shock knot at the swivel to the hook ( Carolina rig ) each morning. That weight beats up the knot pretty good when re-casting unless using beads. Only mentioning this to the new comers. Lost a fish or 2 because I didn't.

Edited by 7nBait

On 10/15/2020 at 7:48 AM, luckyOC said:

I tie the slim b, with the spider hitch.  Plug style.

Never could get the no name knots to work for me, on the bench, so never used them fishing... but that’s just me, i know many big fish landed with them.

now this is what happens when the shock knot catches on a cast for me lol.  This was a albright, 20lb and up, i tie a albright, no doubling the running line.

7D043A2D-8604-4D4A-B058-05DC68B4B300.jpeg.a57274b0c30029fb641d5bfaba9335b3.jpeg

Wow Marcus - start cutting.   How do you like the Fathom II Casting Special ????

I use spider hitch to either a no-name or Albright. 

I double over the line from the loop then cut. Trying to keep the knot to knot connection under 2-3 inches.

With 4 pieces of line the leader knot has plenty to grab and will not slip as long as it's conched properly.

When i first started using shock leaders i found this thread:

Been using it ever since, no reason to change.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, Rich60 said:

Wow Marcus - start cutting.   How do you like the Fathom II Casting Special ????

I like the cs, will probably get another